Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, it's me again. :) I know I just pop in and out occasionally, but we are first time parents, and these new stages are really giving us a struggle. Could someone maybe lay out for me all the common symptoms you've seen with teething? Our baby boy just turned 8 months old, and his first two bottom teeth are coming in. He likes to chew on anything he can get his hands on, of course, but what's really been bothering me lately is how restless he is when we want to go to sleep. I can sit down and breastfeed him and when he's done, instead of going to sleep like he usually does, he comes off my breast wide awake and ready to play, or overly exited. We havn't been doing a lot of things right, I know. We are both night owls, so his sleeping schedule has always been waay off. We don't know how to fix that, because old habits die hard. We also don't really have much of a bedtime routine. I'm not good at figuring out that sort of thing, so we've just been winging it and going to bed, and not always at the same time, but when we do, it's always waaay too late. I guess I'm just too dependent of breastfeeding him until he goes to sleep. He's also been getting more restless on my breast, and squirms a lot and takes a long time to relax. I don't know if that's just because we've been giving him more bottles than usual and he's starting to lose more interest in my breast, or what, I'm not sure. My husband works from home, and I don't work, so that makes it extremely difficult for either of us to get to bed at a decent hour. Hence our baby doesn't sleep at decent hours. So, can anybody tell me if his weird behavior is simply symptoms of teething, or because his sleeping schedule is so off? Or something else? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I would suspect developmental changes on this one. My DD2 is almost 8 months and going through something similar at nap times, although night has been okay thus far. It really doesn't mean you've been doing stuff wrong, just babies need differed things as they grow. I found with my first that the baby sort of dictates what the "next" step in their sleep progression will be. They go through these changes and you find something new that works. You may find, for instance, that your baby needs some down time before nursing to sleep now that he's older. That will naturally become a bedtime routine. You don't really have to stress too much about doing it deliberately. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is he getting enough to eat? That would be my first question. Then I would look into the bedtime routine. Like start with a bath, a massage, then breastfeed, then sleep. If you'll do it every night I think eventually he'll get used to the idea that this is sleep time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts