Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, many proponents of California's new forced vaccination law argue that it isn't at all about coercion.

"Well, you still have a choice," they argue. "You could always move or homeschool."

(Actually, no. Not everyone is able to move or homeschool. But I digress).

If using education to blackmail parents isn't coercion, what is? What would real coercion look like?

I suppose it would be gunpoint, right? Then we could just say, "Well, you still have a choice. You could always just get shot."

If someone can make a successful argument that SB277 isn't about coercion, I'd love to hear it. But until then, spinning vaccine compliance vs. education into an issue of free choice is passive aggressive and disingenuous.

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
"Well, you still have a choice," they argue. "You could always move or homeschool."
Move where exactly? Pan is giving seminars to other state legislators in how they too can overturn non-medical exemptions in their states and there is a bill in the US congress from a Florida congresswoman who wants to go federal with vaccines for all age groups.

We will have zombie apocalypse if that happens.

I wonder if the victims of poll taxes in the 1950s and 1960s were told they could always move to a state that did not have poll taxes if they wanted to vote. And if a slave did not like his/her living conditions, they could move north of the Mason-Dixie Lie.

I have been told on mainstream discussion boards that, yes, I have the choice to avoid vaccines, but I should go live on an island somewhere, as if I had leprosy, (which I have read was spread by the smallpox vaccine given to the Hawaiian islanders who never knew smallpox or other similar contagious diseases until the white man arrived - nice gesture and memory these days after Columbus Day. )

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Believe it or not, many proponents of California's new forced vaccination law argue that it isn't at all about coercion.

If someone can make a successful argument that SB277 isn't about coercion, I'd love to hear it. But until then, spinning vaccine compliance vs. education into an issue of free choice is passive aggressive and disingenuous.
I'm finding it fascinating to see the vaccine lovers, over and over, repeating the line that unvaxed children have no right to attend school. This is actually a very new idea (except in glorious MS and WV) because unvaxed children have been free to attend school for many years with a dab of paperwork. What changed? And does repeating a stupid idea over and over make it a good idea? Who is being protected by changing the law?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition: They coerced him into signing the document.
Those proponents seriously need a dictionary, because they've lost their minds. The definition of coercion above, from the OP's link, fits perfectly for the situation. No ifs, ands or buts about it. In addition, what if TOO many start to homeschool to avoid the mandatory-forced vaccinations? What will they do when they have less and less people to enforce vaccinations on? Do you think they'll be happy about that?

·
Registered
8,851 Posts

I don't think they can (shrug).

Most definitions of ceorsion discuss compelling people to do something through authority, force or threat.

Saying a child cannot go to school unless vaccinated is a threat. Threats to evict children from medical practices are threats.

Parents who want to send their children to school and can't are not choosing to homeschool. It is not a choice they are making. They would send their children to school if they could, but are barred from entry.

I think certain people are trying to re-frame the issue as choice and consequence - but I do not think we should let them. Words have power. Coercion and discrimination fit and should be used until such time as they stop promoting coercive and discriminatory actions.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Is loss of access to education an appropriate consequence of not complying with a heavy and steadily getting heavier vaccine schedule?

In Rhode Island that schedule now includes the HPV vaccine. Of course the health department is being all friendly and loosey-goosey with the religious exemptions, but how much you want to bet that in a year or two that exemption just goes poof?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is loss of access to education an appropriate consequence of not complying with a heavy and steadily getting heavier vaccine schedule?

In Rhode Island that schedule now includes the HPV vaccine. Of course the health department is being all friendly and loosey-goosey with the religious exemptions, but how much you want to bet that in a year or two that exemption just goes poof?
We already know how it's going to go down. Exemptions will go up over this single vaccine. Corporate media will start screaming about measles, polio and "unvaccinated children." Bills will get introduced. Round and round we go.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
We already know how it's going to go down. Exemptions will go up over this single vaccine. Corporate media will start screaming about measles, polio and "unvaccinated children." Bills will get introduced. Round and round we go.
Both the chickenpox vaccine exemptions and the Hep B vaccine exemptions were "worked" in just that way in VT. The HPV vaccine will be very useful if they can play it right--and shut up the parents who speak out objecting to this vaccine. Media censorship should take care of that, however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts