Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been to a birth (other than my own
)?

For a few years now, I've wanted to be a doula or a CBE, or both...even started doula certification through DONA, but never finished. Life gets in the way. I always say my ultimate dream is to be a midwife. I'm so passionate about pregnancy and birth. When I was reading Baby Catcher, I was living vicariously through Peggy (the author) and wishing that someday I could do that.

Did other midwives feel this was their calling, even before attending a birth? Did anyone feel this way and then after attending their first birth change their mind?

ETA- I feel a huge thing that's stopping me from pursuing this is that in IL it's illegal to practice midwifery unless your a CNM. I wish I could just jump right into midwifery school without having to spend years becoming an RN first.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Illinois, huh? why don't you move on over to Michigan? Midwifery is alegal here! No, you're not crazy. The first time I read a book about midwifery, I was hooked. When I met my husband, I was a teacher with degrees in education and psychology who'd decided to nanny , and I had just discovered midwifery. It has been my ultimate goal ever since. I had kids right away, though. I believe strongly that they are my calling right now, so I'm sticking to doula/cbe work. This way, I can stay within the field and still be at home with my kids. But one day soon, one day soon...I'll be a baby catcher! Now, soon is all relative, but I keep reading and trying to stay fresh in my knowledge, and I plan to enroll in AAMI within the next four or five years. We'll see from there.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.
I was beginning to think people actually thought I was crazy but just didn't want to say so.

My kids are still little too, so I'd like to start out with being a doula and or cbe, but I would LOVE to someday be the one catching babies.

·
Registered
945 Posts
NOT AT ALL!! I have felt like I was called to being a midwife even before seeing a baby being born! (other then my own babies) Now that I'm a doula and have seen a birth first hand, it makes me want to be one even more!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i think that you can feel called to be a mw before you attend a birth (i was!!), but there is also a certain romanticism surrounding childbirth, and the nitty gritty reality- 24+hours without sleep, missing your family, traveling, hard labors, etc- is different than the dream. i love midwifery and i cant imagine doing anything else, but it is certainly not what i thought it would be!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
not at all.....i wanted to be a midwife at 16..........now that ive moved to the US though, i think i will become a birth assistant or doula, to many legal issues with midwifery in the US

·
Registered
364 Posts
After the births of my children I KNEW I had to be around birth for the rest of my life. I felt like the obvious first step was to be a doula, but I didn't know if it was okay to become a doula if I'd never been to any birth except my own. Then in an amazing turn of events I landed a midwifery apprenticeship and I couldn't believe I was becoming a student midwife without ever having been a doula or even seeing a birth. Well now I've only been doing this a short while, but I LOVE it. It is definitely the right path for me and I can't imagine life any other way. As stated by the PP it is a lot harder than I had anticipated. My kids are very little and I am gone a lot. I miss them very much, but am blessed to have a DH that can be home with them. Financially it is quite a strain between school, supplies, and transportation. As much as I would love to simplify life, I can't imagine ever going back to a life without at least one birth a month

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Jen- I just posted a new thread asking if their are any midwives or student midwives who did not doula first. I guess you've just answered that question.
How amazing that you fell into an apprenticeship!!!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
It's not crazy. Though I told my midwife and she said it was "just a phase" for me. Well, 15 months later, it's not a phase.... it's an obsession

I did decide to doula/CBE first, but have not attended any births yet. I did LOVE teaching CBE though and may just do more of that and only occasionally attend births as a doula. Not easy for me with small children and wanting more of my own.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You're crazy... No, just kidding

I too am in Illinois, so I am in a CNM program. I chose that route for various reasons, one being that we move from state to state a lot and establishing a practice for only a few years would be difficult not to mention the varying legal/public opinion climates. The other reason is that I hope to make a difference in people's experiences. Working in a lot of public aid health care settings has really opened my eyes to the need that is out there.

I decided I wanted to be a midwife after my daughter's birth. I had a job at the time and I said "I wish I could be a labor and delivery nurse. Actually I wish I could be a midwife." My DH said "Well, why don't you?" And for some reason it all fell into place and I realized that's what I wanted to do.

So now I am in school to be a CNM, working as a doula, getting certified as a Lactation Educator and happy as can be.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
add me to the list. i've thought about it a lot since the birth of my ds. i've decided to become a CBE for now, hopefully i will be enrolled in a program shortly after the beginning of the new year. i figure after that at some point hopefully i will have some good friends that i would be able to use for child care and then get certified as a doula. and then maybe in about 8-10 years or so, when ds is old enough to be home alone if it comes down to it, i will enroll in AAMI, God willing. it seems like a long time to wait but i know the time isn't right to do it right now. maybe things will change and i can accelerate my plans a little bit, but we'll just have to see how things work out. right now i have a new friend who is pregnant and i secretly pray that she will invite me to attend her birth but i doubt that would happen unless we really became as thick as thieves over the course of 6 mo. lol.
:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Count me in as well, right down to the living in IL and not wanting to go through nursing school part!

At present I'm planning to wait until this new bean starts kindergarten, and then either get my doula certification or just jump right in and start back in nursing school (I started a few years ago, but we moved and I had to drop out). I feel a VERY strong calling to the birth profession (which was made stronger when I was a nursing assistant in L&D) but I don't know which path I'll end up on yet. I guess I have 6 years to figure it out!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It is never crazy to follow your dreams & don't let anyone scare you away from them either. Listen to advice from others, take in the good (positive) & filter out the bad. Your dreams are a part of you. Embrace them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I knew I wanted to be a midwife since I was 15 years old. When I was 17 I got an apprenticeship with a midwife- in WA, and we were not legal. I have moved now and starting over completely- but working as a Doula at the moment. I was never turned off by the odd hours or the reality of birth- I was enthralled by it. The legal aspect was a struggle at times, but I have made peace with it and have my own beliefs there.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I'm a total freak in the NCB community I'm sure. I've never been to a birth and my only child was born by C-section (planned UC turned C/S for breech). However, I know with every fiber of my being that I am meant to be a midwife. I plan to start school in fall 2008 and open my own birth center before I'm 35 (I'm 23 now). I'm also in the planning stages of a book about reclaiming the sacredness of birth.

I don't think you have to have physically attended a birth to know you want to be involved. You do have to have done a lot of reading and at least seen some births on video, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, I think I own every childbirth book out there. Seriously, I could go down the lists of required reading for doula certification, and I'm like "I have that one, that one, that one....". And I can't get enough birth videos! I've seen plenty of natural childbirths on video..even made my best friend watch with me one time. She was closing her eyes and making "ewww" sounds, I was like what???? I find birth beautiful and fascinating!!!

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I know what youj mean (nak)...when I was looking through the required reading for ALACE, I had TWO books that I needed to read, and TWO that I had to be "familliar" with. OUt of the entire list. When I told my dh that I wanted to be a doula to start with, he said, "Well, it's about time you did something with all that birth stuff rattling around in your head!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts