Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, under the screw-top lid, there used to be a safety seal that was kind of a layered plastic/cardboard/foil-ish thing, with print on the top. It had at least one little "tab" along the circumference. However, when I have gone to buy Sunbutter over the past few months or so, I've been finding instead that when the screw-top lid is removed, there's only some kind of thin foil seal over the top of the jar, with three little pinholes near the center. There's some kind of cardboard-y circle, too, but it pulls away (or is already separated from) the foil seal and clings way up to the top of the lid when the lid's removed. Has anyone else noticed this? The thing that bothers me is that the foil seal with the three pinholes allows the oil on the top to leak out. Should I write the company??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

'Responded directly to this mom's question via email, but wanted to jot a reply here, too, if other moms run across this. (I rarely chime in on these boards, since I'm here just to learn. But since I blog for SunButter and saw this question, I thought I should answer...)

I asked the company packaging experts, and here's what I learned: The original "seal" also had pinholes to let the product "breathe," but they were much smaller and not noticeable. Since SunButter is hot filled, a breathable seal is necessary. The issue with the original seal with the 3 tabs was that a good percentage were not properly sealing, and leading to leaks. That didn't serve anyone well. The new foil seal definitely seals better, but the holes are more noticeable, and you aren't the first to notice. Right now, they're working on a tamper evident system that balances venting with safety.
Hope this helps. If anyone is really uncomfortable, we can send a jar directly from the plant so you know it hasn't been sitting on a store shelf. Of course you can always email me directly with other questions, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.