Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed it in celebrities or just generally. It's not "cool" to formula feed by choice anymore, the moms that I know that have done that (not friends, btw) are always talking up excuses and show a lot of guilt, HOWEVER, I have noticed that it's actually COOL to breastfeed. Is it me?

For example, the whole Leah Remini situation, she got a lot of negative mail because she was not nursing (I believe by choice) and celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Debra Messing, Julia Roberts, Courtney Cox Arquette, are all promoting breastfeeding (probably just by doing it, and then I also saw Gwyneth speaking very highly of breastmilk on Oprah After the Show.)

So.. is it me? Or is our hard work finally paying off?

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
Gwyneth Paltrow, Debra Messing, Julia Roberts, Courtney Cox Arquette, are all promoting breastfeeding (probably just by doing it, and then I also saw Gwyneth speaking very highly of breastmilk on Oprah After the Show.)
the short answer i would say is "i hope say" , but there are still the opposites...

http://www.odowds-at-home.netfirms.c...ally%20helping....

Quote:
Not really helping....
Brooke Sheilds promoting a brand of infant formula
Hayley Lewis as the face for a range of bottle feeding equipment.
Lisa Kudrow Admits she and husband Michel Stern have started talking about a brother or a sister for their son Julian after watching FRIENDS' last season finale, in which Jennifer Aniston's character Rachel gave birth.
She is sure of one thing - should she have another child, she won't be breastfeeding http://www.allmovieportal.com/c/lisakudrow.html

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I think it's nice the celebrities are openly pro-BF. However, I don't know if it necessarily makes that big of a difference to the general population, whether it is, "cool" or not. I know that a lot of ppl who are my parents' age and older, still feel that formula is better and there is no way BM is enough for a baby. They are so stuck in their opinions, that it's hard to change them. HOPEFULLY, the celebrities will help the younger ppl (like teens, college aged kids, etc.) become more interested and supportive of BFing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
:

My crazy neighbor asked me if she could babysit ds once, but I told her no because I am nursing and I don't respond to a pump (not that I would have let her anyway, she's nuts)...but she told me "Oh, everyone is doing that now". I didn't really know what to say to her :LOL

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
once you click on the link, go to the bottom, click second one that says "more trivia about.." then go about a third of the way down the page...

Quote:
Admits she and husband Michel Stern have started talking about a brother or a sister for their son Julian after watching FRIENDS' last season finale, in which Jennifer Aniston's character Rachel gave birth.

She is sure of one thing - should she have another child, she won't be breastfeeding

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Well if it takes breastfeeding being "cool" for more mom's to do it I say OK!

I have noticed that it is in the news via celebrities a LOT more and also in the ped or OB office the mags have a lot more pro breastfeeding articles.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
huh again? that quote is it? do you get the feeling that wherever they got the quote from, there was more to it than that? (not that i suspect her 'reason' is anything i'd consider valid.) that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

gee, she really *is* a ditz. (bio degree not withstanding- my ex has a prestigious one too, but listens to rush limbaugh. doesn't impress me much
)

suse

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are talking about Julia Roberts I think she was just trying to same something cute and lighthearted about breasfeeding so people would know she was going to breastfeed. I am sure a more direct approach would have been great but at least she did not say I have two hands to hold two bottles.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suseyblue
huh again? that quote is it? do you get the feeling that wherever they got the quote from, there was more to it than that? (not that i suspect her 'reason' is anything i'd consider valid.) that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

gee, she really *is* a ditz. (bio degree not withstanding- my ex has a prestigious one too, but listens to rush limbaugh. doesn't impress me much
)

suse
IIRC she had horrific PPD that got worse the longer she breastfed her son. I've never dealt with PPD, but I certainly won't judge what she was going through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.