Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. I just opened up my new magazine today and as I'm doing the prelim leaf through I see an omlet made with tofu. Then I see an article on mastitis suggesting not to use saturated fats. It just seems to me that Mothering is getting more vegetarian minded these days. I never thought I'd be in the minority on MDC because of my diet choices
. Anybody with the gift of writing want to submit an article on eating traditional foods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
idk, maybe it goes back and forth? some other recent issues seemed much more TF to me..i remember a recent issue had soup recipes in it, and they were very TF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
I write a monthly column for a local newspaper and also articles for the web ( most of them on traditional nutrition topics)...maybe I should give Mothering Magazine a try....
I think just an article on what traditional nutrition means might be a good start....Going to check submission guidelines now ..

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
Yeah, go Tanya! It would be great if Mothering would occasionally publish articles that don't parrot the same ol' tired saw about saturated fat. I'd love to see something about nutrient-dense, omni diets for kids and pregnant and bfing moms, mentioning grassfed/pastured animal products and the vast difference between them and conventional animal products (both in terms of nutrition and ethics).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moneca View Post
I never thought I'd be in the minority on MDC because of my diet choices
. Anybody with the gift of writing want to submit an article on eating traditional foods?
Me neither!Now I am the minority of minorities!
.Just great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Yeah, go Tanya! It would be great if Mothering would occasionally publish articles that don't parrot the same ol' tired saw about saturated fat. I'd love to see something about nutrient-dense, omni diets for kids and pregnant and bfing moms, mentioning grassfed/pastured animal products and the vast difference between them and conventional animal products (both in terms of nutrition and ethics).
No kidding. I'm sorry, but I drank soy for YEARS. All it did was screw me up!

I would love to have REAL, solid, information out there from a source most people would trust. Moms NEED fat, babies need fat. I avoided meat for years because I thought I would be healthier. I was so wrong. My body was crying out for it in all different ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Wow. Is there a website out there that talks about the negative effects of soy?
um, lots


Just start googling it.. ..like type in "soy negative effects" or "soy health problems", etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tanya - I do hope you go through with this. When I started this thread I was thinking maybe Amanda would take the challenge since she has done so much research and is done with her book
:. I love it that you're considering this. Please post on this board if you go through with it. That way we can flood mothering with letters to the editor afterwards in support of your piece
. I really do feel this info would be crucially important to many Mothering readers since you have to dig to find it. I never see any magazine promoting traditional foods and I don't see my WAP Wise Traditions in the magazine racks at WF or Wild Oats
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
wow....this is so great !
thanks for the support guys!

Well, I did decide to go ahead and write a query letter proposing the article. My husband is a writer (just quit his day job...so thats all he's doing nowadays) and I asked him this morning if he'd help with writing the query. He asked me what for and he was so enthousiastic about it too ( if only he could muster that enthousiasm for fermented veggies and organ meat
). He thought it was the perfect thing for me to write and I am feeling good about it too....

so...next week I am sending out the query...I'll keep ya'll posted!

Right now I am thinking just a pretty general article introducing the idea of traditional foods, talking about Dr Price, and what actually is traditional food...what do you guys think?

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,301 Posts
IMO, Mothering is going more MAINSTREAM. I have been a subscriber on and off for 9 years (depending on my finances
) and I haven't been liking the trend. WHen I was pregnant w/ ds1, I borrowed back issues from 1984-1995 from a friend. Mothering used to be more radical, it's starting to get wishy-washy. Don't get me wrong, it's still the best magazine out there for parents like us, and I'll keep supporting it, but it's not as good as it used to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
wow....this is so great !
thanks for the support guys!

Well, I did decide to go ahead and write a query letter proposing the article. My husband is a writer (just quit his day job...so thats all he's doing nowadays) and I asked him this morning if he'd help with writing the query. He asked me what for and he was so enthousiastic about it too ( if only he could muster that enthousiasm for fermented veggies and organ meat
). He thought it was the perfect thing for me to write and I am feeling good about it too....

so...next week I am sending out the query...I'll keep ya'll posted!

Right now I am thinking just a pretty general article introducing the idea of traditional foods, talking about Dr Price, and what actually is traditional food...what do you guys think?

Tanya
Sounds good. Maybe include your story if you used to be veg and the healing you've had with TF. Probably best to leave the great soy debate out for now, but follow with a second piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Well Mothering did publish an article not too long ago...

The Dark Side of Soy

IIRC, that article didn't branch out beyond the soy issue. It sure created a stir, though, didn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Okay guys, I sent out the query for the article to Mothering last night...every one keep their fingers crossed please...I would be so happy if this went through....


Of course then I would have to actually write the article
:

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
um, lots


Just start googling it.. ..like type in "soy negative effects" or "soy health problems", etc.
There are a lot of threads on this and the "Nutrition and Good Eating" forum as well about the negatives aspects of soy.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top