Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine has wanted to eat every two hours since birth. This isn't comfort nursing (he's not much of a comfort nurser), he acts likes he's hungry every two hours. Is this normal? My DD went to every 3 hours at around 8 weeks but this one shows no signs of spacing feedings apart. I'm more than ready to start nursing a little less frequently.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It certainly can be normal.

Just curious, is it every 2 hours all night as well? IME many babies will start either spacing out feedings during the day and nurse all night, or sleep longer at night and nurse frequently during the day.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My 9 mo still eats every 2 hours around the clock (and sometimes every hour during the day)- she's a big girl though (32" and 27 lbs) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She was 20 lbs. and 27" at 4 mo. For us, it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It was normal for Dd until she was like 9-10 months I think. She never nursed for longer than 10 minutes at a time unless she was falling asleep.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sounds normal to me too, my little one nursed every two hours for 13 months straight. Anna was a quick nurser though, 10 minutes was all she needed. I suspect some of that was comfort nursing which I was ok with regardless.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My DD was an every two hour baby until she was 10 months. I mean, I couldn't stretch it AT ALL. I had to plan my life around her eating schedule. She suddenly stretched to every 3 hours at 10 months, every 4 at 11 months and only nurses about 4 times a day now at 14 months. (Unless she's having a bad day, like today, she's nursed at least 6 times already!)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
Totally normal. Be grateful it isn't every hour and a half, 24 hours a day!

Nope...just every two hours during the day and about every hour at night, although I'm too tired to check the clock every time he wakes up at night
Someday I'm going to figure out what I'm doing wrong to make my kids be such horrible sleepers. I thought my DD was bad waking up 5 times a night from 6-15 months and then 3 times a night until 2 years, but this one is worse...he wakes up more and half the time he doesn't even want to nurse, he wants to be swaddled and bounced back to sleep

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Mine has wanted to eat every two hours since birth. This isn't comfort nursing (he's not much of a comfort nurser), he acts likes he's hungry every two hours. Is this normal? My DD went to every 3 hours at around 8 weeks but this one shows no signs of spacing feedings apart. I'm more than ready to start nursing a little less frequently.
yep, totally normal. DD was mostly an very 90 minute girl till the latter part of the 1st year.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. DS will be 4 months this week. I don't really look at the clock, but I'd say he wants to eat at least every 2 hours if he is awake. And that is considering that he is just now starting to be able to hold off a little longer than before. Up until probably a week ago he was nursing every 1/2-1 hour when he was awake. Thank goodness for my sling or I'd never get anything done!

·
Registered
139 Posts
DD is also four months old, and she nurses every two hours during the day, sometimes more often. However, at night she stretches it to three or four hours between feeds (most of the time
).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.