Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorta odd question, I know. I just opened a fresh, whole organic chicken to make some stock, and there are obvious veins w/blood in them still, in the wings, and there were some veins/blood in the cavity. I've not noticed this before, and I've cooked tons of chicken, lol! Is this okay? Safe? Did they not drain/process it correctly?

I have anxiety about food safety, and the bloody veins grosses me out, but I started the stock anyway. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me if this is normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
If you are making it into stock, I wouldn't worry at all.

We get some dark veins in our chickens and they are bled out when they are slaughtered. I think they sometimes don't drain 100%.

Some folks eat blood as their main protein and are just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm not too grossed out about the blood part, but concerned that there was a problem during processing. Like I said, I have horrible anxiety when it comes to food, so any little thing really freaks me out.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Having recently learned how to butcher my own chickens, I'm willing to bet the chicken is just fine to eat.

If you're squeamish about slaughtering chickens, you might not want to read the next part.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!

It is extremely difficult to completely drain a chicken of blood unless you sever the blood vessels in the neck while the chicken is still alive, so that the heart will continue to beat and basically pump the majority of the blood out of the chicken. Even if you do this, there will still be *some* blood left in the chicken.

Using a hatchet to cut the head off, and then hanging the chicken upside down to drain the blood out will result in blood remaining in the body. Even if you let it hang for 15-20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, I'm actually not squeamish at all about slaughtering...I've helped process an elk before

That explaination makes sense; that must be why kosher meat is killed by cutting the animal's throat...to facilitate the blood draining (blood is not allowed in kosher meat at all).

I think I need to buy kosher organic meat, lol!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a friend who toured through rural Asia for reveral months. He said that in one country (I don't trecall which one) they eat "black chicken." Basically, they smother the chicken and don't let any of the blood drain out. The meat is black and apparenly spicy. So, I don't think a little blood will hurt you, it's just not what we're used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.