Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to homeschool my children starting next fall. Currently my oldest daughter is in public school kindergarten and we do not like it!

I'm also considering going back to school myself (for nursing) and I'm wondering if it's possible to be a student (and then ultimately a nurse) AND homeschool my kids.

Any and all input is welcome! (cross posted in homeschooling)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I homeschool my boys (3 yo and 2 yo) and my sister (15 yo) and work full-time. I am in the process of looking for a new job that is just part-time. But once I find one I'll start college, full-time. But, for as long as I can, most, if not all of those classes will be online. Clear as mud right?

Anyway, it is tough. Just like any other parenting issue, when you are working, you have less time to deal with it. I'm up very late each night trying to deal with all the house stuff, study (languages, haven't started classes yet, need that part-time job first), and do all that needs to get done (and obviously, messing around on MDC a little too!).

It doesn't all get done. If you are going to do this, you'll have to accept that. Right now we're very relaxed with schooling for our kids. Dh does some "educational" things with them but we're not using a curriculum or anything. However, I'm trying to make more of an effort to spend at least some time each day doing some type of learning activity. However, I try to make sure that a lot of the stuff I do with them is learning/educational while also fun.

So basically, it can be done but you have to be committed to it. A curriculum for an older child might be easier than spending hours looking up things to do.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes, we do. It isn't always easy.

We did try public school the first part of this year. It wasn't too bad, but it just isn't a good fit for any of us. We have different expectations than the school system. My kids felt like they were wasting a ton of time. That being said I will probably try and get my youngest into head start and then let him to go at least K.

I just got accepted to the UW which means until we move I am commuting. My dh works an extremely flexible retail position at the moment. They even let the boys come and hang out if need be.

Last year we both went to the local CC and lived totally on our Fin. Aid and his GI Bill. That was really nice. Tight living but nice.

I'm not sure what I would do if my dh worked a regular job. We are both pretty laid back with low expectations of life I guess. We don't need a lot of things.

I really think you need some type of help and a good support system to make it though. You might find a night or online program. I considered an online program, but I found my online classes at the CC to awkward. Even though I'm an introvert I need to be around people to talk things out and learn. The online thing just didn't fuel that for me.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm in nursing school (BSN) and we have always homeschooled, I also work part time as a nurse tech! My girls are 5 and 9 years old. They stay with my mom or dad when I'm in class/clinicals. It works out fine. My dh is a student and works full time.

Some things just have to slide...like laundry, the house cleaning, etc. But that is ok and it's not forever.

I know quite a few RN's who work full time and homeschool--in fact when I did my OB rotation the labor and delivery RN was calling to check on her kids at home because the oldest was at home helping to homeschool the youngest. It's a great job!

When I was doing my pre-reqs for nursing some I took online, but mainly I took evening classes at the university when dh was home--that was kinda my time and I loved it. It worked out well. I've always done fine in all my classes, all A's and some B's. Nursing school is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun

·
Registered
985 Posts
As a single mom in school, I couldn't swing the homeschooling. I think it would have been different if I was employed, because I have homework but with a job, I could leave work at work.

I found homeschooling while in school and single to be way too overstimulating. I have perfectionist issues and I felt like I'd have to compromise too much in one or the other in order for it to be successful.

I really think it depends on your support system and your personality. It didn't work for me, but that doesn't make it impossible.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

I'm wanting to do the same with my dd this fall. I've just ordered Oak Meadow's Pre-K curriculum (I don't have the time to assemble one and I'm still working on getting dh to see that we can homeschool) and I can't wait to start pouring through it.

Any other tips?
:

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I don't see how you would not have time to HS. I'm a single mom with a 6 yr old and an 11 mo old and I go to school full time online and it works great. I have days with the kids then do home work after they go to bed. Thankfully I don't need to study for hours on end to get something and just need a quick overview to understand it most times so I get by with about 6 hours a week or so doing homework unless I have papers to write.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Yup. Homeschooling single mom (full-time grad student). I also work about 10-20 hours a week, teaching.

dar

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
For those of you who got to school/ work/ both what's your typical kind of homeschooling day like? Is there a particular part of the day or day of the week in which you wind up doing more activities than others?

Also, do you participate in local homeschooling groups?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I'm a student and we plan to start homeschooling this fall for kindergarten. I'm not sure how it will work out, but I have confidence that it will.
A few people have asked me about how I will be able to find the time this fall with my clinicals & classes but that's the beauty of HSing- it's not 9-3 weekdays only.. it can be anytime.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heket View Post
For those of you who got to school/ work/ both what's your typical kind of homeschooling day like? Is there a particular part of the day or day of the week in which you wind up doing more activities than others?

Also, do you participate in local homeschooling groups?
We are pretty relaxed, but my kids don't like being bored. So, they have some workbooks to work on. Plus, they might do a page for their notebooks. It could be reading a book and then drawing a picture with a description. We have been using some of the Ambleside suggestions. It seems like we do a lot more "real schoolwork" during my breaks. Then we relax again.

They spend a lot of time with their dad during the day. They play with him (like the rough boy stuff) and chores and art. My dh is an artist, so they often create sculptures with him.

We don't have an average day. This quarter I have three days off a week with them. My dh usually works or finds something useful to do away from the house on those days. We might run some errands, catch up on laundry, or go to the city. I'm planning on being in school for only two days in the fall and I'm taking the summer off.

We have had a difficult time fitting in our community. So, we don't do a thing with the locals. We plan to do more community stuff once we move to a bigger city.

Not sure if that helped at all. I've just had to realize I cannot do it all. This is the place we are right now.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
We're unschoolers, so Rain's week doesn't look much like school. I have classes from 11-2ish two days a week, and also 6-9 one evening a week, and right now I teach/tutor Monday and Tuesday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Rain dances a lot, starting at 4 Monday through Thursday and ending sometimes between 6 and 9, depending on the day. So, for three days her dancing and my stuff overlaps, and during my daytime classes she hangs out at home (actually, she often doesn't wake until after I leave). On the weekends it varies - sometimes she's with schooled friends, other times she's at home.

We don't do anything with the local homeschool group here, because there were really no kids she felt connected to... there were only a couple near her age, and they were very "young", while Rain is "old"... I think the oldest child in the group is actually a month older than Rain, but she seems younger, you know?

When we're not doing scheduled stuff we do what we want... Rain reads, learns French, blogs and chats online, knits, and whatever else she wants to do...

dar

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It's possible. I work evenings right now (3-11 PM) so I have my mornings open. My DS really isn't old enough for school now, but it is a possibility for us to home school in the future.

The main problem I see is that I will be essentially devoting all of my non-work time to schooling DS and meeting his social needs. I have no idea when I would have time to do, well, ANYTHING. I like to exercise, the house needs to stay reasonably clean, and DS is an extrovert who needs a lot of social stimulation. I'm just not sure I could do it.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
We homeschool, and I work outside the home. I work at least 20 hours a week, and some weeks it's 50+ hours. During my busy weeks, we do less schooling. I'm home every morning, so that is our school time. My ds is 5, and we are still doing "preschool."

When I'm at work, my dh is with our kids. My schedule doesn't match up with our homeschool group's activities, so dh usually takes them.

To be honest, I find that homeschooling and working outside the home is really difficult. My dh is looking for another career right now. I really hope that he can find something that pays more so I can work less. So far, I haven't found a balance between work and travel, sleep, and homeschooling. I'm exhausted most of the time, so we do less schooling than I would like.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I plan on going back to school in the next year,but doing as much schoolwork as possible online. I am not really going to start thinking about it,though,until we are in a "rhythm" with HSing. I don't plan on working full-time,and to be honest,I am still not sure exactly what I want to do,but am leaning towards radiology or ultrasound technology,which would be good,cause I could work evenings/nights.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Dh and I talked this month and homeschooling is a go. We'll be splitting duties on teaching dd (like many other household items.) I'm so excited! We'll start with OM pre-k and some supplemental items and branching out to Enki for K. We're also going to our local hs conference in August to learn and meet other families. I think we'll find a way to make this work for us.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I have been in school fulltime online for the past two years. Next year I will be going to school on campus. We have tried and tried to figure out a way to make enough money to buy a house and still homeschool, but we can't. My boys are going into 5th, 3rd and 1st grade this year. They have always been home. Now the two youngest ones are on a waiting list for a charter school. I am going to try to get the oldest one into a private school for academically gifted kids. If not, he will still be home. This year, my dh will be home with them during the day. They are going to start doing the classes our school district offers for homeschooled kids. NExt year, we hope to have them all in school. My dh is going back to school as well.
So, it is mostly financial reasons. DH and I could work split shifts (he works as a restaurant server right now) but we would never see each other and very rarely have the same days off. Median price of a home in our town is over $300,000 so if we want a house, we have to both work. We are in our late 30s and so that security is really important. The other thing is that I don't think the chaotic juggling lifestlye is serving my youngest two very well. They need a lot of structure, and I can't seem to give them that. I have tried and tried. They are doing well enough and they are learning a lot, but I think they would be really well served in an environment with more discipline.

·
Registered
879 Posts
For those of you considering HS your young children, it doesn't take much time at all. Really like an hour a day for Kindergarten. (of actual "devoted" time)

I find it to be the most enjoyable part of my day. You know how breastfeeding isn't just about feediing? Same way with homeschooling. It's not just getting the information into your child. It's a built in connection time. I think that's especially valuable for moms with time commitments away from the kids. I worked and had the twins in PS, and it was just frightening how quickly I was completely out of touch with them.

I work 50+ hours a week, but I am lucky because the kids are here with me and my oldest two are 14 (and natural mothers)

I don't know how I could "work" and NOT homeschool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.