Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point I really hope not, but something in my mind is nagging me that I am. I have also been more moody, crampy, nauseaus (sp?), and WAY more hungry.

DH doesn't think I can get preg before it comes. I nurse around the clock and have not gotten it yet.

Also, please tell me everything you know about BF and natural child spacing, thanks!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yep... you can get pg before your period returns.... maybe you need to test.

It might just be a hormone inbalance. Good luck

ETA: the only thing I know about BFing and natural child spacing is that you can't rely on it

·
Registered
826 Posts
If I remember my Dr. Sears correctly, breastfeeding works as birth control if 1) you are exclusively breastfeeding, 2) you are 6 months or less post partum, and 3) AF has not returned.

I got pregnant with my second and third children prior to AF returning, but my oldest son and my daughter are 24 months apart, and my daughter and my youngest son are 16 months apart (he was a preemie), so "the rules" worked.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I read the same statistics. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It's not a given. My bestfriend bf'd exclusively, never got a pp period and was pregnant again 3 months PP.... I guess it just depends on your luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great........I am probably one of the "lucky" ones. Dh and I are too fertile for our own good.

I know I could handle another one, I just didn't want them so close. #2 and #3 are 13 mos apart and that is way too close for me. If this is true, these kiddos will be 12 mos apart

I also don't want to hear what "happy" comments our extended family has to say
: they already think were nuts!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
It definitely can happen. I didn't have a period between my last two children as I was still nursing. When I went in for my first appt and they asked when my LMP was I had the same answer as when I went in for my previous child. Obviously we had to use alterior methods of determining my edd. I knew something was up when I couldn't stay awake for anything. I couldn't believe how bone-tired I was and sure enough the pregnancy test was +. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just an update, I found out the pg test was +. I am happy, but I did not want to have kids so close together again.

I can still bf this one through pregnancy right?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmama
I can still bf this one through pregnancy right?
Congratulations! Mine were closer together than planned, but I'm really glad now that my kids are so close.

My OB told me I had to wean, but I did my own research and found that weaning is only necessary in a high-risk pregnancy (and maybe not then, depending on the circumstances). My older boy self-weaned about half way through my pregnancy -- I understand that this is common because the flavor of the milk changes at that point. My daughter, however, continued to nurse all through my last pregnancy, and I tandem-nursed for over a year.

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cangrats!

I have nursed thru 2 pregnancys and while not easy its do able. My milk dries up by 3 months tho so if baby is under one supplementing may be necessary. I have heard of mamas who kept their supply up throuout pregnancy with totally excellent nutrition, but I think hormone levels are at play too. In your situation I'd probably tandem nurse, to make up for lost breastmilk.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
congratulations!
my sister found out she was pregnant with her 2nd son when her first was only 4mos old with no AF. My nephews are 13mos apart. She nursed thru the pregnancy and now tandem nurses both boys...

good luck!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm not sure if you saw my reply to you in your other thread posted here about the same time re: your concerns about supply, but wanted to point you back to it, now that you know you are pregnant. I did end up having my supply drop DRASTICALLY immediately upon being pregnant, but I didn't realize it (had a lot of people telling me it was just my baby's age, etc) until he lost weight. I would encourage you to read my post and have you baby weighed at regular intervals. Hopefully this won't be an issue at all for you, but it's good to be on the look out for!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks for forewarning me. I think that so far my supply has been good. He has been eating as normally as he was before. I will be on the lookout, though.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
The average pg lactating woman's milk slows to a trickle during the 2nd trimester. Some women's milk dries up sooner. You will need to supplement with artificial baby milk. No question.

You can get pg before a period. There is a chance, however small. So do not count on nursing to avoid pregnancy. Obviously it is not ideal to get pg too soon. It is hard on your body and deprives the baby of her birthright--2 yrs of bfing. Many babies/toddlers will wean during pregnancy and will refuse to resume nursing after the sibling's birth. If this does happen, you can pump and give her your milk in a cup or mixed in food.

For those lurking (obviously it is too late for the OPer) here is the straight story on bfing and fertility. Read it!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

tandem nursing and nursing while pg:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/li...gpregnant.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
Congratulations!
I hope you continue to breastfeed through your pregnancy. I dont have any experience bfding a infant and being pg. I did get pg without having a ppaf also. We started trying without af at 9 months pp. At 15 months pp i got pg! I nursed my entire pregnancy and dd self weaned at 26 months.
I am 3 months pp now and i hope the natural family spacing rings through again. It was awesome not having to worry about b/c or periods.
Best of luck!
Aloha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.