Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-posted in I'm Pregnant.

I think I might be pregnant.

I used to have a Paraguard IUD, but had to have it removed this summer. In August, I got a Mirena IUD inserted. My OB/GYN told me that there was a chance that I would stop having periods after 6 months or so. My periods have been getting progressively lighter, but this month, I've only had the occasional brown discharge. Not just old blood though, it seems to have the consistency of snot. (TMI!) Plus, I've been experiencing:

* SORE breasts. Not just tender, but PAINFUL. They also seem a lot "fuller" and I've been having bra marks at the end of the day lately, like my bra is too small.

* Colostrum production. I have been completely dried up for several months, but have lately been noticing colostrum. It's clear with yellow in it. It's not MILK! And I've been leaking at emotional times and such...similar to let-down.

* Constipation. It HURTS!!!

* HEARTBURN!!! With EVERYTHING! I don't normally get heartburn, even with spicy foods. Now I'm getting it with anything I consume...even ginger ale!

I bought a 3 pack of tests a couple days ago. I took one at night, BFN. I took one the next morning with FMU, BFN. I'm planning on waiting a week or so before taking the next one.

So based on my symptoms, what do you think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi! I had a Mirena IUD in and had many pregnancy scares, mostly bc it freaked me out that I didn't get my period. They told me that it would stop but it was normal, normal, normal and then just quit. No tapering off period, just gone. So I thought I was, they said no. The nurse at my dr's office actually told me that the Mirena IUD, put in properly is more effective than getting your tubes tied. Not sure if that is accurate but that is what she told me.

As far as your other symptoms, those mystify me. Is the Mirena newly inserted? If so, the breast tenderness may be from that. All the other symptoms though are ones I would correlate with pregnancy.

Good luck! I hope you ARE pregnant, if you want to be. Let us know what you find out...
If you DO want to concieve eventually, know that after taking Mirena out, I conceived less than two weeks later and had a healthy baby boy April 1 of this year!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is possible, but rare, for implantation to occur with an iud placed properly. Though, when I had my Mirena iud inserted I was warned that if I had a history of ectopic pregnancies that it wasn't recommended because the iud doesn't affect those at all.

If I were having all of the symptoms you are, I would get checked out. For peace of mind if nothing else.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Those symptoms could very well be from the Mirena itself. Though the amount of progestin is small, it is present in the Mirena, and breast tenderness, heartburn and constipation are all possible side-effects of increased progestin. You may just be really sensitive.

Pregnancies do happen with the Mirena in place, but it's rare. If you are still getting BFNs you could have a quantitative beta drawn just for your own peace of mind.

Hope you get the result you want!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.