Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday evening, I noticed my son had a 2 spots on his upper back, looking like mosquito bites. They were very itchy, made it hard for him to sleep b/c of itching, and woke him up in the middle of the night. On Monday there were a few more bites, also very itchy, which woke him up for a couple of hours Monday night. On Tuesday he had LOTS more red bumps on his back and chest. I called the doctor and made an appt. for this morning. Last night I gave him benadryl (thinking maybe they were hives) which helped a bit with the itching early on but he still woke up at 4 am and scratched until 6 am. The spots hadn't diminished and there were 2 new ones. When the doctor saw him today she said, "Those aren't hives. That's chicken pox, or a poxvirus, doesn't really matter which." But NONE of his bumps have ANY fluid in them, even the ones whch appeared on Sunday. He isn't vaxed against chicken pox, BTW. So could it just be a weird atypical chicken pox? Or something else? Any ideas or thoughts would be welcomed!<br>
Thank you,<br>
Rachel

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Do you have pictures? If he caught it from a recently vax'd then broke out kid then they can be atypical. More & more cases are going atypical becuase the of the vax.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No photos b/c I am having camera trouble but will try to post some tonight. If he did catch it from a vaxed kid, will he stll gain immunity? Thanks for your reply.<br>
Rachel

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I read the title of your thread and then I read your description about the itching and I thought NO that's not cp. Then I read, no blisters filled with fluid, no way is that cp unless I am way off.<br><br>
I had 3 kids with cp and although I don't remember that much about it (pretty non-eventful) I don't remember any of them itching so much. Only one child scratched one spot and got one scar out of all three kids.<br><br>
Could it be flee bites? They really itch.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
the pox will usually come to a head and seep, then scab. they look like big whiteheads almost.<br><br>
do you think it's CP?<br><br>
the only reason I'd say no is because he got spots 3 days in a row. I think generally there is an initial outbreak then another 3-4 days later (this is how it happened for my DS anyway) except he wasn't sick in the least and we didn't see a dr. (I did photograph it though) and he never scratched them much either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is definitely a weird chicken-pox like virus going around this year. 2 of my 3 kids had it and so did I. We all had it to varying degrees. My husband got ONE, but he was the first. My toddler got them here and there, mostly on her head and she itched them to death. My then 4 month old had them really ALL over. If he didn't scratch them, though, they would disappear for him. I had them on the outside of my ear.<br><br>
The weird thing was, since this first happened in late Dec., they sometimes re-appear, but only a few (like less than 10 spots) right as I come down with a cold, or my youngest does. The rest of the family has not had any more.<br><br>
We ruled out bug bites immediately because my oldest child didn't get any at all and she sleeps with her sister. Our youngest sleeps in a swing, so isn't sleeping near anyone else. I say this because someone suggested maybe it was bedbugs at one point.<br><br>
So far we have been free of it for over a month now. I think the 2 kids were the only ones to get a fever with them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of them are filled with fluid in the least that I can see, and they are not crusting over. And they aren't going away. And maybe 1 new one since wednesday They do seem less itchy than initially, though. He never got any fever at all. He doesn't seem sick at all. I considered bedbugs but we cosleep and I haven't any bites. Perhaps I'll just have to be comfortable not knowing, which is hard b/c medical mysteries drive me crazy! Thanks for all your input everyone.<br>
Rachel

·
Registered
996 Posts
My oldest DD (now 13) got the chicken pox when she was 3, and she only ever got a half dozen spots. As far as I can recall, they were only mildly itchy, didn't really fill with fluid, and she didn't get very sick. Her doctor said it was definitely CP, albeit a very mild case. But enough to give her immunity so she never got the vaccine.<br><br>
Last year, when she was 12, she got a mild case of the shingles (related virally to CP). So she definitely has the virus in her system.<br><br>
ETA: when oldest DD had the shingles, her younger brother got CP the week after her outbreak. Ironically, he DID have the CP vaccine. His case of CP wasn't horrible, but it was far worse than what DD's had been, without the vaccine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts