Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what is going on here. Recently my sons diapers have a really intense ammonia smell to them after he pees and when I do laundry the dipes that have been sitting for two to three days smell so intensely of ammonia that it stings my eyes. In addition, my little guy just developed redness around his front parts on the thighs, lower abdomen and penis-area. Nothing on the backside so I'm thinking it's pee related. Is it the diapers, or is it something with my babe? I occasionally run a double or triple wash with only soap in the first wash so I think that counts as stripping, right? Any
help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think it must be buildup on your diapers. When you do the extra washes, do you check to see if there are still suds in the rinse water? I'd repeat the rinses until there are no suds. This took me FIVE extra washes once.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Ammonia smell is from bacteria in the dipes IME. Use a different detergent (some detergents just don't kill the bacteria IME), sun them, boil them, bleach them (depending on what kind of dipes you have). Get the bacteria out and the smell should stop.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snt88 View Post
I think it must be buildup on your diapers. When you do the extra washes, do you check to see if there are still suds in the rinse water? I'd repeat the rinses until there are no suds. This took me FIVE extra washes once.
Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3daughters View Post
Sounds like detergent build up to me too. I ran my dipes through a long HOT cycle with no detergent and it worked. Ammonia smell was gone.
and Ditto.

If you are washing at home, you can even adjust your hot water heater to hottest-possible *temporarily*. Then hot wash, repeat until no suds (put on your cycle signals so you can peek).

·
Registered
455 Posts
When we had ammonia problems, boiling was the only thing that got completely rid of all the build-up (I think we were dealing with both detergent and bacteria build-up). I would boil again in a heartbeat if I ever needed to because it was so successful.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the responses. I'm going to start with some bleach since I use BG 3.0 and it is reccommended to bleach every once in a while. I'll also do a few extra hot washes to ensure all the suds are out. If all that fails I'll do the boiling, and if nothing works I'll be back to bug you gals again. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.