Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom's of more than 2, did it get progressively worse with each child or did it max out after a certain number? With both dds they were pretty horrible, but with dd2 I actually got a rx from my ob because I was hardly functioning. Is there a way to make them suck less? I am going with a midwife this time, so no drug access unless I take someone elses.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine did get worse, and the only thing that helped at ALL was Motherwort tincture (which did help quite a bit). Not looking forward to that again at all!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
They are terrible aren't they?

No, the afterpains have remained the same since baby 2 - not worse.
What is getting worse with each baby is the pregnancy pains, which are starting sooner and becoming more debilitating. Oh, and I am also getting longer prodromal labour ( though the labour itself is getting shorter)

·
Registered
860 Posts
my afterpains were the same for # 2 and #3. they do indeed suck and even made me reluctant to nurse because as soon as i did, there they were! i just remember that it only lasts a few days and they are helping my belly shrink!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I was actually thinking about this last night. With DS (first baby) they were really horrible, I can't even fathom what they will be like this time.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Something that helps to manage the afterpains is taking ibuprofen and Tylenol alternally. You are not allowed to repeat the Tylenol or ibuprofen before the 4 recommended, buy you can take tylenol, and then 2 hours later take ibuprofen, then 2 hours later take ibuprofen again and so on. The afterpains only last a couple of days, so it is not like you will need to keep doing that. I REALLY need the painkillers in my system the whole time in order to be able to stand the contractions from nursing.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Oh, and I am also getting longer prodromal labour ( though the labour itself is getting shorter)
Oh man
I forgot about that too. My early contractions always started up after 10 pm and I remember being exhausted having to deal with dd1 every morning. At least this time I'm not going to be moving or doing any major painting/ decorating.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Something that helps to manage the afterpains is taking ibuprofen and Tylenol alternally. You are not allowed to repeat the Tylenol or ibuprofen before the 4 recommended, buy you can take tylenol, and then 2 hours later take ibuprofen, then 2 hours later take ibuprofen again and so on. The afterpains only last a couple of days, so it is not like you will need to keep doing that. I REALLY need the painkillers in my system the whole time in order to be able to stand the contractions from nursing.

Though you should know that tylenol passes into the breastmilk. Ibuprofen either does not or does so in extremely small quantities (I can't remember which it is). Therefore my MW said to take ibuprofen and avoid tylenol.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well, I am just sharing the advice given to me by EVERY SINGLE medical professional and midwife who handled all my 7 pregnancies and 5 births...

I never really take painkillers though, except for those first 2-3 days after birth

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine were horrible with my FIRST and then they did indeed get progressively worse with each pregnancy.

My mw suggested an herbal called "AfterEase" and man, that stuff worked like a charm. You can find it online...

I'll never birth without some on hand again!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Though you should know that tylenol passes into the breastmilk. Ibuprofen either does not or does so in extremely small quantities (I can't remember which it is). Therefore my MW said to take ibuprofen and avoid tylenol.
I just looked it up, and both tylenol and ibuprofen pass through breastmilk in extremely small / safe amounts.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Another vote for afterease. After pains were the same after kiddo 2, and 3 for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
#4 was worse then #3, #3 was worse than #2. #2 was worse than #1 and I didn't feel any with #1. With #4, I thought I was dying LOL. I ended up taking prescription strength ibuprofen. It sucked!! I'm terrified of it this time LOL

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmomma View Post
I just looked it up, and both tylenol and ibuprofen pass through breastmilk in extremely small / safe amounts.
Thanks!

I did try afterease with my second, didn't work...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amberoxy View Post
I didn't have any afterpains with my first. What are they? I'm thinking I wish I hadn't seen this thread - I've been dreading the regular labor pain - I don't need more pain after that!!!
I was wondering this too. What exactly are these afterpains?

·
Registered
164 Posts
More contractions. They are worse whenever you are nursing. They really really suck! To me, they hurt WORSE than labor lol. I guess because you are rewarded with a baby after labor, with afterpains, there isn't anything you get for it LOL.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amberoxy View Post
I didn't have any afterpains with my first. What are they? I'm thinking I wish I hadn't seen this thread - I've been dreading the regular labor pain - I don't need more pain after that!!!
I had a mild case of it with DS; it's your uterus contracting back to normal size in the first week after birth. I can't remember how long it lasted for, for me it felt more like menstrual cramps on my first/bad day of my period. It occurs usually when you're nursing, since your body is releasing oxytocin which makes your uterus join in the party and contract
I know it's useful and all, but I am worried because I've heard from some friends that with subsequent babies it gets pretty painful. Good to know about some remedies!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.