Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is academically behind in language developement. She was an early talker but learning to read, write, spell etc have all been VERY difficult for her and she's way behind the other students. Her teacher asked me if Dani learned to crawl as a baby or if she skipped it. Well she totally skipped crawling.....and the teacher said that this negatively effects language developement. She didn't suggest anything to remedy it other than gentle persistance. Would it be to late to have my dd crawl? I mean is 9yo too late for it to even help her if I have her do it?<br><br>
-Heather

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
You can do cross crawls with her. If she doesn't mind laying on her back and bringing her left arm to her right foot. and then keep doing it with the opposite arms and leg. Not sure if that makes sense but connecting the two sides of the body and crossing the midline may help the two sides of her brain work together. Maybe google this issue, O'm sure there are activities and games to help with this. sorry I'm NAK so I can't type much

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I think that teacher is full of it, and it's not a very fair or nice thing to bring something like that up (i.e. totally guilt-inducing and not something you can do anything about). Many children don't crawl, but do find other ways to get across the floor (scooting, etc). <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20050306215213/http://www.parenting.com/parenting/experts/sears/archive/index022802.html" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/200503062...dex022802.html</a><br><br>
FWIW my daughter didn't crawl either and read at an early age.<br><br>
Is the school providing any services other than guilt, i.e. vision therapy, languages tutoring, etc? Does she have a developmental delay?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I think the crawling/reading thing has been pretty well debunked. My kids are from China. It's pretty common that kids there don't learn to crawl because they don't get much floor time. Floors are usually pretty dirty and/or are concrete. My older daughter scootched around on her bottom instead of crawling and she was reading at 4.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Crawling has been linked with later learning related issues for years, though I don't know if it's still considered a potential issue. Crawl therapy has been around forever too, but I think its reported effectiveness is now suspect, at least in some circles.<br><br>
Learning issues aren't this tidy. You can't just diagnose a learning problem to the crawling like this teacher seems to have done.<br><br>
If you're concerned, you'd probably want to find an occupational therapist that has experience working with children who have various developmental or learning challenges. They probably are better able to identify different kinds of issues and therapies than a teacher would be.<br><br>
Linda

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I have heard of some people having success from doing some re-patterning using movement. The official term I think is educational kinesiology, and it was made popular by the crafters of "Brain Gym". Here is a link I just found.<br><br><a href="http://www.braingym.org/faq.html" target="_blank">http://www.braingym.org/faq.html</a><br><br>
I think the point is that your child doesn't have to get down and crawl around, there may be other ways of helping.<br><br>
nak...sorry I'm not sure if that made sense!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I also think it is bunk. Crawling is not a necessary milestone, from every article I've ever read on it. If a teacher mentioned something like that to me, I'd ask her for the resources to back it up with.<br><br>
Tammy

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record, this teach is NOT being unkind in any way. Maybe her info is just outdated. There aren't any special ed programs available at this school, as it's a private school. I chose to send her to it because there are 24 children total in the school and multilevel classrooms. She's a 4th grader in a 1-4grade class. No one notices or cares that she's a year behind other 4th graders in reading and math because no one really cares about grade level in the class. We homeschooled until recently and I didn't want her going into a situation where she'd be teased for being "behind". The teacher has been wonderful and flexible. When I told the teacher that Dani was frustrated by having 20 spelling words every week and I worried about her retention level because she's not retained large lists in the past, the teacher cut her test list in half for her. She's even allowed me to still be my child's math teacher because we both agreed that it wouldn't be good to switch curriculums mid-year. This is a wonderful school with caring teachers and staff....<br><br><br>
That being said, I'll take what she says on this matter with a grain of salt. Thankyou for your input everyone, it's been VERY helpful. I was worried I'd messed up, lol.<br><br><br>
-Heather

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
It sounds to me like the notion probably came from some of those goofy studies that 'correlate' one thing to another and then if they find any kind of relationship assume that one causes another. Like figuring out that statistically more blue eyed people are left handed, or that New York Times readers drink coffee more than People Magazine readers (I'm making these up). The newspapers are full of these all the time - people who eat 3 servings of X a day 2.5 times more likely to develop cataracts! That sort of thing...<br><br>
So when the teacher says not crawling "negatively effects language development," what the studies probably said was "we see some correlation between not crawling and late language development," and then speculated a bit about what that might mean, if anything. I'm guessing she was reaching back to a paragraph she read in a course in teachers college, or Psych 100.<br><br>
I never crawled, and I was reading when I was 3.<br><br>
Even if there is some kind of correlation that would be in the context of development as a baby/toddler and I can't see that crawling around on the floor as a 9 year old would necessarily have any effect on literacy (your mom instincts are sweet, though!).

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
When my brother was in elementary school he had all kinds of problems with reading and writing, and he was labeled as having a learning disablity early on. The teachers asked my mom about his crawling and she said that he'd never crawled and had gone straight to walking. "Aha!" said the teachers, and they proceeded to subject him to lots of floor-crawling, balance-beam walking, and similar exercises.<br><br>
A few years later, we were all going through baby books and started reading the bits about when Baby first crawled and first walked. Lo and behold, my brother *had* crawled, right on schedule. *I* was the one who never crawled and went straight to walking... me, the kid who read and wrote before starting kindergarten, and went on to participate in all sorts of gifted and talented programs, in large part due to my precocious verbal skills.<br><br>
Yeah, it's just an anecdote... but I still think it's a crock. Perhaps a few kids who never crawl fail to do so because of underlying issues that can also lead to reading problems, but I don't believe that the not-crawling is the cause... just a possible symptom.<br><br>
dar

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
My dd never crawled. She rolled! She was really good at it, too....rolling completely from one side of the room to the other. Anyway, her language skills are excellent. Too bad the teacher doesn't have better answers for you.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
how is your daughter doing? it can be hard for kids to be slower at stuff than the other kids. it helped my son to talk about the different kinds of intelligences and how he was really smart but that he had challenges in these areas. and that everyone has challenges, you just don't always know what they are.<br><br>
it would also be good to encourage her interests and have her be an expert in something.<br><br>
it is certainly possible that she has a learning disability. if you do want to have your daughter evaluated, the public schools will do that for you.<br><br>
i would go back to the teacher, or head of school, and seek a bit more guidance.<br><br>
read anything by mel levine as well. <a href="http://www.allkindsofminds.com" target="_blank">www.allkindsofminds.com</a>

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the teacher. I have 3 children, two of whom NEVER crawled at all. They totally skipped past it and went right to walking. They are not delayed in any area, including language. I think some kids just have a more difficult time than others and develop differently. Not crawling holds them back? Nah, I doubt it.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I don't agree with this theory niether. My 10 year old never crawled, and he's academically ahead of his game also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts