Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a history of ovulating late in a cycle (last cycle it was CD33). i'm looking into ways to help me ovulate earlier and saw that soy isoflavones could help if taken for a few days towards the beginning of a cycle. i'm on CD11, so it would appear that this is something to try next cycle.

but what if i started it NOW? if i get some today or tomorrow and take it for the next 5 days, would it encourage me to O soon? or would it totally throw me off? i definitely haven't entered a fertile phase yet, my cervix is low, my fertility monitor says low, etc etc. i don't want to screw everything up by taking it day 11-15 or 12-16 just because i'm impatient, but if it could save me from waiting over 3 weeks to ovulate, that would be AMAZING.

if it matters, i've also added a B-complex supplement to the mix this cycle - i also take a prenatal, flaxseed oil, a calcium/D suppplement, acidophilus, and vitamin C.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I don't have the answer for you, but I heard most women do it like CD 3-7 or 5-9... I remember I was thinking of trying it too bc I was Oing SOOO late in my cycle, but I heard it can mess you up. Not sure what to say, but let us know if it works!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did hear from a friend of mine that some women with crazy long cycles do take soy later in the cycle with good results, so i figure i may as well try it out. if we can find it!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
let us know!
I have never heard anything bad from isoflavens, I just have not heard any personal stories of success
I remember you should look at the label carefully bc they mislabel the mg of isoflavens vs the actual pill, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't want to be the naysayer... But if you ARE ovulating, I would stay away from the Soy.

I took it the cycle I had (I think) a ruptured uterine cyst. I believe the Soy caused hyper-ovarian syndrome... I also miscarried a week later. Please be careful.

I do take a B-Complex and I think it has helped my LP a little and is perhaps responsible for both my BFPs. I never had a BFP before I started taking it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
let us know!
I have never heard anything bad from isoflavens, I just have not heard any personal stories of success
I remember you should look at the label carefully bc they mislabel the mg of isoflavens vs the actual pill, if that makes any sense.
ooh, ok, good to know. i think the CVS soy menopause (heh) pill has 55 mg of actual soy isoflavones, so i think i'd have to take 2 a day for the next 5 days... but i'll check the label online carefully before going out and buying it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
i have heard that you can take it any time to help O. if i were you, i would try it now and see what happens
i'm seriously leaning towards that. i'm so worried this cycle will be anovulatory. we timed sex not-so-well last cycle, but we weren't technically ttc (we were "seeing what happens") - but then i went and O'd. what if i don't O now? augh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
I don't want to be the naysayer... But if you ARE ovulating, I would stay away from the Soy.

I took it the cycle I had (I think) a ruptured uterine cyst. I believe the Soy caused hyper-ovarian syndrome... I also miscarried a week later. Please be careful.

I do take a B-Complex and I think it has helped my LP a little and is perhaps responsible for both my BFPs. I never had a BFP before I started taking it.
gah! i have heard a LOT of positive soy stories and this is the second one that isn't so good, but it's DEFINITELY worth thinking about - i mean, how can i guarantee a good result versus a bad one? the problem is that i'm not sure that i'm necessarily ovulating, but i do know that if i am i'm Oing late. pre-baby my cycles would be 35-40 (or more!) days long, and they are the same now. plus i'm BFing... though i am having regular (just long) cycles.

well, i think i have more reading to do before i decide for sure. thanks for the input, everyone! if i do decide to take it i'll come back at the end of the cycle to post my results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.