·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some advice about this one.
Here is the behavior:
- nurses on one side for a few secs
- switches to other "bo" for a few sucks
- goes back to orignial breast and sucks for a few secs and then stops.

He still has one good long nurse in the morning.

This is baby who loves to nurse, has nursed on demand since birth, has never had a bottle. He night weaned about 3 months ago. And, has been nursing 3 times a day since then (his choice).

I'm concerned that my supply is low, but don't think this is the issue. I'm starting to think it may be the next step in weaning. I don't know if I should cry or celebrate. I hadn't expect this so early.

Any thoughts? Is this weaning?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Check out this link. Do Babies Under 12 Months Self Wean?

My question to you would be, what is he weaning TO? Too many sippy cups? Too many solid foods? A baby under 24 months NEEDS human milk, and the natural age of weaning for human children is probably between 2.5 years and 7 years. I would actively work to avoid weaning in a child under age 2, and would certainly never actively wean a child under age 3. There are just too many benefits to nursing at least 2 years (which is the bare minimum recommendation by the WHO and UNICEF)!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the resources and support! I can't tell you how much I needed to hear/see this.

In answer to your question, my son isn't wearning to anything as far as I can tell. He doesn't like any other kind of milk or milk subsitute. No sippy cup or bottle. He drinks water from and regular cup and has a good diet of solid foods. So, I don't htink this is it.

What struck me most was this section in your first rec...

"Be aware of your own subtle cues that encourage weaning"

Yikes! I think that I may have been doing this. I thought that I was committed to nursing until 2. But, I did work (very gently and at my son's acceptance) towards night weaning and a more regular schedule for weaning at around 16 m. Looks like it may be contributing to what is happening now. And, I certainly haven't been offering. I may even act annoyed by it (sad to admit). So, do you think I should let him nurse more at night and during the day?

I'm confused because it does seem like this behavior may be another step of the weaning process and I don't want to interfere too much.

Bottom line...I'd like my son to wean when he is ready.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
386 Posts
try this:

nurse first, food second.

only give him food after you've taken time to nurse him. this will help correct his proportions of breastmilk and food.

i am still nursing a 3 yr. old at night. some nights are tiring, but most are fine. he needs that to make up for his busy day.

the appropriate beverage for a little child is breastmilk. no juice, soy milk, etc. sometimes theyneed water, of course.

breastmilk is also still their most important and complex food.

can you create a quiet space for some prenap and bedtime nursing? tsking time to really nurse him will also cut down on the snack nursing.

of course, nursing is so much more than food!

rrr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.