Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD will be 8 months old in a couple of days, and I can't decide whether to start her on solids or not. She sits up, has teeth, no tongue thrust, and is interested in food. She doesn't have a pincher grasp, although she's perfectly capable of picking up small bits of stuff and getting them in her mouth (judging by the amount of stuff she's eaten off the floor!).

The reasons I would wait to start solids are 1) she has food intolerances and I'm not sure how starting solids is going to affect them, and 2) we are going to visit DH's family over Labor Day and I think it will be easier to keep them from feeding her if she doesn't eat solids at all yet.

I can't decide...WWYD?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I'm pretty sure they'll try to give her food, and I'm not going to lie to them. DH's sister was a bit surprised that she hadn't started on solids by 6 months. I don't have a problem telling them not to feed her, but it's just one more thing to content with...they already think we're nuts between the no-vaxing, EC'ing, extended BF'ing (not that 8 months is extended but for most people it is), weird whole foods diets, etc etc.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
they already think we're nuts between the no-vaxing, EC'ing, extended BF'ing (not that 8 months is extended but for most people it is), weird whole foods diets, etc etc.
Well, join the club....I'm being referred to at work (small office) as the wacko who wont' vax!

Wait til baby hits a year and we're still bf'ing!~I can't wait! (they think you should wean at about three months. "Anything more than that is just weird...
: )

(I got over being irked-now I'm gonna consider maybe a little further outside "normal" just to give them something to talk about! If you can't (won't) join em, beat em!:nana:

I'd rather be nuts than a sheeple (did we ever decide what the singular of that was?).....better company over here.....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
my dd1 only played with food 7-9 months. at nine months she grabbed and ate (chicken and wild rice, cooked in bone broth, with mirepoix, no less). i had tried other stuff, and she wasn't interested in eating, and i had really just put it on her tray thinking she would play with it, not eat it! i would just put stuff on the tray in front of your daughter and let her play, no shoving a spoon down her throat. my understanding is that babies don't synthesize amylase, to digest carbohydrates, and that their gut is still 'sealing up', and early interferences in that process exacerbate food allergies and intolerances. 8 months is fine to try healthy foods - but riskier if the intolerances seem to be her digestion, not yours, but absolutely not to allow the in-laws to feed her chips or whatever crazy thing they think she should 'like'. If you don't take charge of her eating around them now, they'll continue overstepping the bounds like mine, who shove MSG laden crap into dd 1, who then wakes up shaking three times a night after she visits them, from the additives, overtiredness and lack of protein.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a problem (neither does DH) telling his family what they can and can't do with DD. They do know she has food intolerances, and I think I would just tell them we're not giving her fruits for a while because I don't want her to develop a preference for sweets. But I think I've decided to wait until we get back from the visit to give her solids, since one of the reasons I wanted to start them was so I could give her some probiotics that are not for EBF babies, and now I found some probiotics that are for EBF babies...so I'll just give her those and see if that helps with her food intolerances before I start the solids.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
I don't have a problem (neither does DH) telling his family what they can and can't do with DD. They do know she has food intolerances, and I think I would just tell them we're not giving her fruits for a while because I don't want her to develop a preference for sweets. But I think I've decided to wait until we get back from the visit to give her solids, since one of the reasons I wanted to start them was so I could give her some probiotics that are not for EBF babies, and now I found some probiotics that are for EBF babies...so I'll just give her those and see if that helps with her food intolerances before I start the solids.
Cool, which probiotics are those?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.