Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is almost 2 and it looks like his foreskin is becoming retractable, about halfway anyhow from what I see without manipulating it. He's always been ahead on anything physical as was his dad so this doesn't surprise me. But he has been walking funny now and then, and pulled at his pants while whining a few times. When I went to change him or put him on the potty the foreskin was partially retracted. I know nobody has forcibly retracted it, nobody has watched him but us in weeks. He's also started a little potty learning so maybe it had something to do with that and nothing at all about this. Anyway those of you with older verbal kids that seperated, have they complained of any discomfort when it happened? Anything I should know about hygeine or care now? I figure he's too young to explain washing himself to so I'll continue to leave it alone and bathe and wipe him normally.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Here are some of the things that you might see while seperation is going on <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732</a> but not every boy will have it and some will have more than others. Just like some of us had killer growing pains while others never really experianced it or only very mild form or them.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
JamieCatheryn, it does appear that there can be some pain associated with the separation process but we have to keep it in perspective.<br><br>
The pain does not appear to be substantial. It appears to come from pulling at remaining normal and natural adhesions or the edges of those adhesions getting very small tears. It is neither prevalent or uncommon.<br><br>
My best guess from seeing descriptions from mothers of the symptoms is that it is most analogous to paper cuts. That is, while not really painful, they can sting and burn like a papercut. I have never communicated with an adult man who remembers this but I do remember the pain from having my tonsils out at 4 or 5 years old. Apparently, any pain from the separation process does not make enough of an impression on the child that it is burned into his memory.<br><br><br>
Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts