Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6yo has one cavity in a crevice between her baby molars. The dentist, who is the very best I've been able to find, suggested that even though it's laser, not drill, nitrous oxide would calm her. I'm going to do more research on this, but wanted to know if anyone has had this experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Not with cavity fills, but my son had nitrous last week for an extraction, he has a tooth growing through his palete, anyway with the nitrous, numbing gel, and then lidocaine, he did amazing well. He got a little sleepy but that was it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Based on what I have read right here from a very trusted source.....nitrous is safe, (except in the 1st trimester of pregnancy). It is there when the mask is on, gone with the mask is off. Unlike sedatives that are ingested orally that stay in the system.<br>
It really all depends on your dd's temperment. Do you think she needs the extra calming of NO?<br>
My dd had a small surface cavity filled at age 4 with nothing at all, except me holding her foot and lots of previous dental chair experience.<br>
There are other alternative natural sedatives like Rescue Remedy, essential oils, namely Roman Chamomile and Peace and Calming, I believe it is. There is acupressure and hypnotic voice.<br>
So as for calming her, you do have many options based on your dd's needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts