Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the indelicate question--I guess this is just my little thing I am wringing my hands over at the moment.

I hear about these things called ploppable poops, which my 33mo DS has yet to have. Sometimes his bowel movements are downright watery. This is not a problem per se--we are now old pros at using our handy dandy mini-shower to blast away diaper messes. However I am starting to wonder if I should be worried about whether there is a problem with his diet (e.g. is he lactose intolerant, allergic to wheat, eating too much fruit, etc). A friend thinks it's just the breastfeeding, and that as he nurses less as he gets older his bowel movements will firm up. He eats a good amount of table food, but I think he also nurses a lot, even compared to other kids his age who nurse (he has a 10mo baby sister which I think has fueled his nursing). My DP is lactose intolerant, and he thinks our son is not LI, since he thinks we would see bowel movements right after he eats/drinks a dairy product if this were the case.

If your child nurses a lot (a subjective judgement, I know), could you say whether s/he has ploppable or peanut buttery poops?

·
Registered
937 Posts
DS is 18 months and he nurses 10+ x's during the day and night. He almost always has very soft "peanut buttery" pop. While we were on vacation is firmed up a little bit, but as soon as we returned home it was back to the normal mush. I think that it is a combination of a good healthy diet rich in fiber and the breast milk which has been said to have laxative like qualities. Which is why you will rarely see an exculsively BF baby with constipation verses a formula feed one who may need an enima from time to time.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
140 Posts
My DS is 38 months and most of his poops, for his whole life, have been what I always call "mush." He's been weaned for a couple of weeks, so I'm still thinking it might start to change a bit, but I don't know.

Occassionally, he'll have a solid one -- the type that can "fall out" of the diaper -- but I'd say that 85% of the time, it's mostly "mush."

Like you, I often wonder if this indicates a sensitivity to a food or something. I'll be interested to see what others think.

FWIW, my DS is allergic to dairy (an actual allergy, not lactose intolerance), so there's no dairy at all in his diet (or mine when I was nursing him). So I know that's not it. We thought maybe wheat or gluten for a while, but we experimented and decided that wasn't the case.

Now that we're working on potty training, I can see that the "mushy" movements are a little more formed than I thought. They fall into the toilet with some shape, not just liquid. And he's pretty regular -- poops about once a day -- so I don't worry too much.

Sorry for all the detail. Looking forward to other replies...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd is nearly 2. Still nurses a TON (8-12+ times a day) I'd decided that we'd have mushy poo forever.... they started being plopable around 20ish months. We still have one here and there (maybe 1/4 or 1/6) that's mushy or partly mushy, but most roll off now.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
I don't know but I have to subscribe because I have an almost three year old who also has very soft, mushy poop. We tried cutting out dairy and it made no difference and he does eat an abundance of fruit. I also have a one year old (tomorrow
) who has had formed poop from his very first bite of solid food a little after six months. I much prefer changing the babe's diaper to changing messy underpants or emptying the little potty. The 3 year old nurses 2-3 times a day and the 1 year old nurses about 4 times that. *shrug*

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My son is just now one. We'd been having a horrible poo problem as he has started eating a bit more solids (but still very little). He was still very, very runny and with the increased volume (plus pooing just every other day instead of a couple of times a day) the diapers were not containing it.

My new amazing discovery (which may or may not apply to anyone else's digestive system) is that a couple of ounces of applesauce a day makes his poo ploppable!!! It binds it up just perfectly. I have never been so excited about poo in my life! The first ploppable poo was so satisfying!

The only problem is that the past couple of days he has only eaten a couple of bites of applesauce and we are back to the runny and/or super smooshy stuff.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trini
My new amazing discovery (which may or may not apply to anyone else's digestive system) is that a couple of ounces of applesauce a day makes his poo ploppable!!! It binds it up just perfectly. I have never been so excited about poo in my life! The first ploppable poo was so satisfying!

The only problem is that the past couple of days he has only eaten a couple of bites of applesauce and we are back to the runny and/or super smooshy stuff.
Interesting. My DS does eat apples pretty regularly (though we don't have applesauce very often). Awhile back someone in the diapering forum said a banana a day firms up her DC's bowel movements. My DS loves "nannies" though but still has the mushy poops.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If everything else is normal and there are no other signs of food sensitivity or allergy*, I'd guess it's normal. To me, the smell and color are more indicative of a problem. Sorry to be gross but since we're all going there anyway lol, an acidic or diarrhea smelling poop indicates something wrong to me. A mushy but normal smelling poop is probably okay but mushy and smelling like they've been eating oranges all day might not be. Also, green or pale are not good colors for poop (not talking about a one-time thing after too much broccoli lol).

Less obvious signs of allergy or food sensitivities include undereye circles, rough or scaly patches (e.g., on legs, back of arms), one flushed cheek or ear and one pale one, sleep disturbances and behavior problems, etc.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, mamas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Periwinkle
If everything else is normal and there are no other signs of food sensitivity or allergy*, I'd guess it's normal. To me, the smell and color are more indicative of a problem. Sorry to be gross but since we're all going there anyway lol, an acidic or diarrhea smelling poop indicates something wrong to me. A mushy but normal smelling poop is probably okay but mushy and smelling like they've been eating oranges all day might not be. Also, green or pale are not good colors for poop (not talking about a one-time thing after too much broccoli lol).

Less obvious signs of allergy or food sensitivities include undereye circles, rough or scaly patches (e.g., on legs, back of arms), one flushed cheek or ear and one pale one, sleep disturbances and behavior problems, etc.
I will have to think about whether his poop seems acidic. It is orange tinted and does sometimes irritate his skin (sometimes it is red where the poop was when I change him). It does not smell like oranges though, or particularly foul (imo anyway--DP always puts his shirt over his nose).
MY DS doesn't eat oranges very often. I do notice that when he eats tomatoes it sometimes amkes his face red.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
By oranges I just meant acidic, not actually smelling like oranges -- sorry I just reread my post and realize that is totally confusing.
:

Poops that burn the skin or turn it red are a good indication it's acidic -- sorry TMI but you know when you have diarrhea it can hurt your bum? Same thing here (even if it's not watery). Have you introduce any new foods coinciding with when that started? I find too much dairy does this - my ds has lingering issues with dairy intolerance (I had to compeltely avoid it when he was <6-7 months) but it's going away gradually and he can now tolerate yogurt and cheese fairly well, while cow's milk (e.g., used to prepare mac n cheese) will produce poops like this.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Periwinkle
By oranges I just meant acidic, not actually smelling like oranges -- sorry I just reread my post and realize that is totally confusing.
:

Poops that burn the skin or turn it red are a good indication it's acidic -- sorry TMI but you know when you have diarrhea it can hurt your bum? Same thing here (even if it's not watery). Have you introduce any new foods coinciding with when that started? I find too much dairy does this - my ds has lingering issues with dairy intolerance (I had to compeltely avoid it when he was <6-7 months) but it's going away gradually and he can now tolerate yogurt and cheese fairly well, while cow's milk (e.g., used to prepare mac n cheese) will produce poops like this.
Thanks for your help with this.
From what you describe it sounds like he does have acidic poops sometimes. I am kind of at a lost as to what cold be the cause though. Is there a book that would be helpful in figuring this out? Also, once he has an acidy poop, how far back should I look back when trying to figure out what the problem food was?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts