Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in arcata, Califronia which is awsome. Mom's walk down the street and breastfeed. People are always at the parks. And people are liberal and environmental. But we have to move soon because there just isn't enough diversity and not really enough jobs to go around. Is portland anything like Arcata. Family friendly? Environmental? Liberal? Affordable? Walkable? Layed back? Do you all have time to get together at least twice a week or is life fast paced?

Thank you for any help,
Sarah

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
to MDC!!! I'd say Portland is pretty mama/AP/NFL friendly. There is a small conservative crowd and larger mainstream crowd. Overall, though, it's liberal. It's not super laid back and is definitely not as chill as Arcata. A lot of people I know work shortened workweeks, though, if that's any help. We love living here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough about Portland.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
POrtland has won awards for being the most environmentally frienly, walkable, bikeable, family friendly, healthiest, blah blah blah, city there is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We moved up here last year to the date
and I have found Portland to be SOOOOO FAMILY FRIENDLY YES!! We live in Washington, NE of Vancouver; we spend at least 2 days a week in Portland though because it is so fun

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We are fairly new here, and I have said to my husband a few times that I have met the best people and the worst people I have ever known in Portland! Don't worry - the good outnumber the bad by quite a bit! Overall, we can't get over how nice people are, but you can't really compare it to Arcata. It is a big city after all. There are all kinds of neighborhoods that have amazing stuff right in walking distance and tons of character to boot. I think your life will be as laid back as you want it to be. The MDC group here is amazing, though, I must say! If you want playdates, you will have no trouble finding them! There is also an active API chapter here. Oh, and Oregon in general has the highest rate of breastfeeding moms in the country! Having said all this, my husband mentioned recently he heard that Eugene was much crunchier than Portland. Don't know first hand if that is true though.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I don't know anything about Arcata, but everything you mentioned does describe Portland. I think anyone who is on MDC would LOVE living in Portland!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts