Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this transcript is accurate....let's hope so....

During the September 26 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh called service members who advocate U.S. withdrawal from Iraq "phony soldiers."

LIMBAUGH: "Save the -- keep the troops safe" or whatever. I -- it's not possible, intellectually, to follow these people.

CALLER 2: No, it's not, and what's really funny is, they never talk to real soldiers. They like to pull these soldiers that come up out of the blue and talk to the media.

LIMBAUGH: The phony soldiers.

CALLER 2: The phony soldiers. If you talk to a real soldier, they are proud to serve. They want to be over in Iraq. They understand their sacrifice, and they're willing to sacrifice for their country.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200709270010

The gall that Mr. College Deferments and "Pilonidal Cyst" Got Me Out of Vietnam could even think of uttering the words "phony soldiers" when referring to soldiers who were under fire in Iraq but don't see this fiasco in the same light as he did, well, I nearly speechless.

BTW, I wonder if he has the balls to take a call from the parents of these apparent "phony soldiers" and explain himself....

Two of Seven Soldiers Who Wrote 'NYT' Op-Ed Die in Iraq

Sgt. Omar Mora and Sgt. Yance T. Gray died Monday in a vehicle accident in western Baghdad, two of seven U.S. troops killed in the incident which was reported just as Gen. David Petraeus was about to report to Congress on progress in the "surge." The names have just been released.

The controversial Times column on Aug. 19 was called "The War As We Saw It," and expressed skepticism about American gains in Iraq. "To believe that Americans, with an occupying force that long ago outlived its reluctant welcome, can win over a recalcitrant local population and win this counterinsurgency is far-fetched," the group wrote.

Mora, 28, hailed from Texas City, Texas, and was a native of Ecuador, who had just become a U.S. citizen. He was due to leave Iraq in November and leaves behind a wife and daughter. Gray, 26, had lived in Ismay, Montana, and is also survived by a wife and infant daughter.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003638726

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I met and got to know very well one of those "phony soldiers" this past weekend. He just returned from 16 months in Iraq. He's an officer. This was his 4th deployment to that area of the world. All of them since the US went to Afghanistan. He lost 50lbs while there. Said food was in real short supply. He and his troops went hungry at times. Sometimes they would kill and prep a goat or sheep to eat that they saw along the road. They didn't have enough ammo lots of the time. This guy loves what he does. He's been in for 15 years. He's decided to take a boring desk job in intelligence because he just doesn't want to risk having to go back to Iraq. He's been suffering from PTSD since 2 months before he left Iraq. (He's been home for just over two weeks). He said it's a disaster there, and we never should've gone in, and we need to get out now. My heart breaks for him. The things he's been through.

I can't say what think of Rush Limbaugh right now. It would get me into big trouble.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The thought of soldiers risking their lives and dying in this corrupt, unjust, and criminal war is heartbreaking, but the thought of them doing it hungry is so heinous that I feel physically sick. :puke

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
The thought of soldiers risking their lives and dying in this corrupt, unjust, and criminal war is heartbreaking, but the thought of them doing it hungry is so heinous that I feel physically sick. :puke
I agree...it is disgusting on so many levels. We have a friend there now and...agh. That is so, so upsetting that I can't really put words to it.

And Rush is quite the

·
Registered
94 Posts
This entire thing is nothing more than an out-of-context rant. The article is nicely cut-and-spliced - When Rush mentioned "phony soldiers" - he was specifically addressing Jesse Macbeth. Here is a link to the ENTIRE transcript.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...113.guest.html

Takes on a different meaning when all is read - doesn't it? He was referring to a soldier who was sentenced to five months in jail and three years probation for falsifying a Dept of Vet Affairs claim and Army discharge record. He WAS in the Army - for 44 days. He was kicked-out of boot camp. He was not an Army Ranger, never was. He was not a corporal, never was. He never won the Purple Heart, never in combat to 'witness the horrors' he claimed to have seen.

Yes, there are lots of phony soldiers claiming to be things they aren't. Rush had been talking about these "soldiers" the entire show.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
What a shock that someone who typifies the opinions of the white, male, wealthy conservative elite in this country doesn't give a damn about the poor schmucks who got their heads filled with bullshit about "freedom" and "patriotism" to convince them to go and die for oil and money.

Maybe one of those phony soldiers has a few Oxys you can score, Rush!

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi_lea View Post
This entire thing is nothing more than an out-of-context rant. The article is nicely cut-and-spliced - When Rush mentioned "phony soldiers" - he was specifically addressing Jesse Macbeth. Here is a link to the ENTIRE transcript.
We can always depend on Rush to go the deception route before being honest.....he didn't mention the fraud MacBeth until after the "phony soldiers" crack. I don't think the link you posted helps your/Rush's backpleddling!

In response to Media Matters' documentation of his recent description of service members who advocate U.S. withdrawal from Iraq as "phony soldiers," Rush Limbaugh claimed that he had not been talking "about the anti-war movement generally," but rather "about one soldier ... Jesse MacBeth." Limbaugh then purported to air the "entire" segment in question. In fact, the clip he aired omitted a full 1 minute and 35 seconds of discussion that occurred between Limbaugh's original "phony soldiers" comment and his subsequent reference to MacBeth.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200709280009?f=i_related

An BTW, it is not like Private Pilonidal Cyst doesn't have a record of taking shots at veterans who don't tow the party line....

Paul Hackett served in the 1st Marine Division in Ramadi and Fallujah during 2004 and 2005. When he returned home, Hackett was a vocal war critic and ended up running for Congress in a special election against Republican Jean Schmidt.

The Huffington Post obtained audio of Limbaugh smearing Hackett on his radio show in 2005. Limbaugh calls Hackett a "staff puke," claims he went to Iraq "to pad [his] resume," and attacks him as "a liberal hiding behind a military uniform."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/0...tml?view=print

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.