Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are many types of fish that are not considered safe to eat because of Mercury or PCB's. I am already on a very restriced diet since Elle has food allergies to Dairy, Soy, Wheat, and whole Corn. I am trying to come up with variety in my diet and I would love to add some fish. I like Salmon a lot but I have stayed away because I am not certain that it is safe. Does anyone know if it is ok? Any other good fish suggestions?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Amy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Most of what I have read indicates that wild-caught salmon is good and farmed salmon is bad. Generally, if something says "Atlantic Salmon" it is farmed and "Alaskan Salmon" is wild caught.<br><br>
I'm fairly certain that either the FDA or the EPA has lists on their web site of which fish types to avoid for mercury. They're generally big fish - king mackerel, shark, etc.<br><br>
Environmental groups probably also have lists on their web sites that may be a little stricter than the EPA/FDA. Maybe check Sierra Club?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think that wild caught salmon is an excellent food. I eat it usually about once a week (and feed it to my ds). I would eat it more often if it was more readily available. This is the only meat I eat on a regular basis. Mercury is not a problem in salmon at all; I think pcbs can be a problem in farmed salmon, but not wild. MMMM sounds good I think I will pull some out of the freezer for dinner tonight!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Actually, I was reading hat there were problems with wild too, but I can't remember where...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
And as for farmed, depends where it is farmed.<br>
Farmed in Iceland is good, they do it right.<br>
Wild Alaskan Salmon is good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was visiting Seattle last January, I picked up a wallet-size 'fish it's okay to eat list' at the AQUARIUM!!! This list is only relevant for the Pacific Northwest, and takes into consideration (in addition to consumer health issues) sustainability and harvesting they consider "healthier for ocean wildlife and the environment." They have 'green', 'yellow' and 'red' fish.<br>
I wish I could get one of these for the East Coast (where I'll be living in a few weeks)!!!<br>
Anyway, "Salmon (wild-caught from AK)" gets a green light.<br>
"Salmon (wild-caught from CA, OR, WA)" gets a yellow light.<br>
"Salmon (farmed, including Atlantic)" gets a RED light.<br>
I can't speak to the accuracy of the aquarium's list, nor to their weighting of sustainibility and consumer health issues. But I love this list!<br>
Oh, and the little list has a weblink for more info: <a href="http://www.seafoodwatch.org" target="_blank">www.seafoodwatch.org</a>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the website. DH and I LOVE Salmon, so it's nice to know what to look for when buying it. I think a lot of the Salmon around here (in Ohio) is the Atlantic Farm Raised stuff, so we have to look a bit harder to find the good stuff.

·
Registered
961 Posts
And another warning--you can't always trust that the wild salmon being sold in stores in actually wild salmon. A NYTimes article several weeks ago found that in the majority of stores in NYC, farm salmon was being sold as wild salmon--for more than twice the cost! I have always thought you could tell the difference in color but I wouldn't risk it. I would assume if this is a problem in NYC, it is probably more wide spread as some of the stores said it was their distributors that were selling them the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Harper</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">And another warning--you can't always trust that the wild salmon being sold in stores in actually wild salmon. A NYTimes article several weeks ago found that in the majority of stores in NYC, farm salmon was being sold as wild salmon--for more than twice the cost! I have always thought you could tell the difference in color but I wouldn't risk it. I would assume if this is a problem in NYC, it is probably more wide spread as some of the stores said it was their distributors that were selling them the wrong stuff.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Do you know what stores specifically? We shop at Whole Foods, and I've never had any reason not to trust them. They seem to be reputable.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I can't remember--I know Grace's and Dean and Delucca were in the article but I can't remember who was selling what! The article appeared in the NYTimes on April 10th. They charge for older articles so I couldn't access it. Maybe a google search would turn it up somewhere else.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Harper</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">And another warning--you can't always trust that the wild salmon being sold in stores in actually wild salmon. A NYTimes article several weeks ago found that in the majority of stores in NYC, farm salmon was being sold as wild salmon--for more than twice the cost! I have always thought you could tell the difference in color but I wouldn't risk it. I would assume if this is a problem in NYC, it is probably more wide spread as some of the stores said it was their distributors that were selling them the wrong stuff.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
That's *very* disturbing! It's so sad that we are so far removed from our food source that we can't be sure what it is, where it came from, how it was handled, etc.<br><br>
I've been wondering about fish too and was about to post a similar question. I've been wondering what amount of mercury-free fish is truly safe for a nursing mom. Maybe I'll do a spinoff.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have trouble sourcing wild salmon. The only wild salmon anywhere close by is $22lb, which is a lot for me. But I think I'll buy it on-line. I don't know how good they are since I haven't tried it yet, but I'll probably order from here <a href="http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/" target="_blank">http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/</a> The only problem is that the shipping is a lot since they overnight it, unless you buy 8 lbs or more, then it's free. Thank goodness I have room in the freezer. I'm sure there are other good on-line stores to order from too. This seemed to have the most variety and the best prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts