Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the teething fever a myth? Or is that something that doctors tell you so that you will bring your child in for an unnecessary visit?

If the fever is brought on by the teething, why? I thought fever was your body's way of fighting infection. Why would does it react to the teething in the same way as it does an infection of some kind?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes and no. My older son has febrile seizures so I am particularily sensitive to fever issues. My understanding is this, baby can get redwarm cheeks or a slight rise in body temp but not a real fever from teething. A fever is a sign of another underlying issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My DS runs a very slight fever while teething. It doesn't even qualify in the baby books (99.7 degrees) as a fever, but he has it every time he teethes, and it's higher than his normal temp. There is no other cause for him--I know it's teeth because he drools through all his shirts.

Edited because I couldn't leave the post reading teeths instead of teethes.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Teething fever is not a myth in this house. DS struggles with teething, because for whatever reason he gets his teeth in pairs. He's had fevers as high as 101 during the worst episodes. We do not take him to a doctor or even consider calling the doc unless it gets above 102, which it never has. As for the second part of your question, I have no idea why teething and fevers seem to be connected.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's not a myth. Honest! I got a fever when my third wisdom tooth came in. (So far, so good with #4, but can I just say that I sympathize with your baby! Teething at 26 is no fun, but at least I can verbalize my complaints!)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Definitely not a myth in my experience. I don't recall off the top of my head how often teething caused slight fever in my older two, but for the baby it definitely has been. He has 3 teeth, and a day or two before each of them broke through the gums he ran a low grade fever (around 99 deg underarm, so probably actually more like 100 or 101). He was not sick, so it was not just coincidence that he was teething during a cold or anything like that. Dr. Sears lists low grade fever (not higher than 101) as a symptom of teething, and I think I remember reading somewhere in his stuff about it being due to the inflammation that the tooth causes in the gums as it is working it's way through.

·
Registered
360 Posts
my DD doesn't run a fever when she is getting teeth, but I was talking to my mom, and she said that I did. She would take me to the ped and he couldn't find anything wrong w/ me, the next day, I had a tooth.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
My DD always ran a fever when teething. It was one of the ways we figured out what was going on.

My DS, nope. He just chews and drools.

I've actually never met a doctor who wanted to see a baby old enough to be teething for something like a plain little fever. Who has that kind of TIME?!?

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
We get teething fevers here too. Both of my boys also had runny noses when teething even though some say that is not related either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts