Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I posted the other day about a blister and then the ped retracted (totally my bad).

Well the blister is still there, and today there are two spots that look like bloody open sores. It's not so much blood that it was on the diaper, and it is on the outside of the foreskin, not coming from the inside. He doesn't flinch when I touch it, but he did sleep horribly last night so I wonder if it's bothering him.

Anyone have experience with this? Right now I am going to treat it like diaper rash, go to sposies for a couple days and have some diaper free time.

I know the answers are probably on this forum already and I am trying to search for them. But my computer is slow and I am also running after a one-year old, so it's taking me some time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archaeomom
Hi all,
I posted the other day about a blister and then the ped retracted (totally my bad).
No, no, not your bad at all! It's a ped's JOB to know how to properly care for his or her patients.

I'm guessing it's the rash/blisters getting worse.
Not much experience here; I have a girl and we've only had a few minor rashes.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
The ped said that the blister and the minor redness was no biggie, something they see often. He did not swab or anything. He told me if the redness got bad to come back (the redness is the same). Basically it looks like a blister surrounded by an abrasion.
He is a little red around the anus today and has a bright red line between penis and anus, so maybe it really is just diaper rash. We haven't had rashes before.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Want to preface this with...my DS has never had any blisters/foreskin issues....however, if it was me, I would use some homeopathic Calendula *gel* on it (I like the Boiron brand - Whole Foods/Wild Oats/HFS carry it). Apply several times per day.

I've used this a lot on diaper rash & regular cuts/irritations and it is very effective.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Unfortunately for the doctor or me, there is no way to know what it is without a culture. We don't even know if it's due to a bacteria or fungi or just the results of amonia in the diapers, detergent residue in cloth diapers or a reaction from the chemicals in disposable diapers.

Just some suggestions . . . If you use cloth diapers, strip them to get any detergent residue out. If you are using disposables, try another brand. Change the diapers as soon as possible and give him some bare butt time to air everything out. If none of that works, I would recommend going back to the doctor and insisting on a culture. If that doesn't identify what it is, it eliminates a lot of things so that you can zero in on the real cause.

Keep us posted on what's happening.

Frank

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well by afternoon yesterday the rash looked terrible. It was all over his diapered area. I put him in sposies, and did the usual things one does to treat diaper rash. I am happy to say that all seems to be clearing up today. The blister is still there, but the area that looked like an abrasion is not, and the redness around the blister is starting to go away. Phew!

I am stripping my cloth diapers right now, but I am suspecting the culprit was the fresh strawberries on his 1st b-day cake.

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice. I haven't been to this forum before b/c we made the decision not to circ before I found MDC. Your responses were very helpful and reassuring. It's always nice to know someone has experienced these things as well.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
The red around the anus does sound like an allergy thing. My girl gets that if I have milk or ice cream. Sometimes it's just there or sometimes whereever the poo touched, so I guess the line of redness makes sense if that's where the poo travels. Hope he's feeling better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.