Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had another woman ask me if I was dialated yet. Um, no one has even come near my cervix yet and even if they have, how is this any of your business????

My token response is "your guess is as good as mine."

Today's inquisitor was the same one who told me two weeks ago that I looked huge. I managed to quickly change the subject by asking about her daughter that just started college. Whew! I really didn't need her asking any more questions.

Someone pass the bean dip please!

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Why do people thing that pregnancy makes women open to any and all commentary and questioning? I mean really. Would you ask someone, "So, how'd that colonoscopy go?" or "Hey, heard you were on your period, how's that goin' for ya?" No? Then why do you feel the need to ask me about my cervix?!

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Why do people thing that pregnancy makes women open to any and all commentary and questioning? I mean really. Would you ask someone, "So, how'd that colonoscopy go?" or "Hey, heard you were on your period, how's that goin' for ya?" No? Then why do you feel the need to ask me about my cervix?!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,562 Posts
LOL! I don't mind those types of questions. Just means they are getting excited for you. I am pretty open about that stuff though. After fertility treatments, nothing is off limits to me.

· Registered
2,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
LOL! I don't mind those types of questions. Just means they are getting excited for you.
same here....pretty much.

My sister asked me at my baby shower if I was dilated yet and I told her how I had checked myself and so far I'm not. I think I grossed her out because she obviously had no idea that women could actually check "themselves," and she said she didn't want to know about that and changed the subject pretty quick.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but it's one thing when your sister asks and quite another when an acquaintance asks. I will give my sister a straight answer, but someone who doesn't know me well? ewwww....

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
I sent my MIL an email update about my last appointment and told her how dilated/effaced I was (always with the caveat that it doesn't really mean anything) and she sent it to people I wasn't intending to know
I guess I should have said something. I really don't want the whole world knowing what is going on in my vagina - it isn't any of their business.

· Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I really don't want the whole world knowing what is going on in my vagina - it isn't any of their business.
OMG this thread is cracking me up.

I thought I had it bad a few days ago when a woman I *don't know* grabbed my love handles in the grocery store- to evaluate my weight gain and if I was carrying 'like a girl or a boy'.

I realize now it could have been so much worse!

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I really don't want the whole world knowing what is going on in my vagina - it isn't any of their business.
Exactly! I tend to hold up some pretty high personal boundaries--pregnancy is no reason to stop doing that.

· Registered
571 Posts
I had the SAME question asked of me today!!! I was completely taken aback!!!! One of the next questions from the same person was whether I was having sex while pregnant!!!! (Because I answered the dilation question with -- I'm not having the doctor check, I don't want to introduce infection. So naturally, that means you can ask me about my sex life!)

:

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
I had the SAME question asked of me today!!! I was completely taken aback!!!! One of the next questions from the same person was whether I was having sex while pregnant!!!! (Because I answered the dilation question with -- I'm not having the doctor check, I don't want to introduce infection. So naturally, that means you can ask me about my sex life!)

:

OMG! That's unbelievable to me!

· Registered
1,287 Posts
EarthMomma, that is a hilarious response.

I guess the dilation question doesn't bother me as much as the grabbing of the belly or sex questions/comments.

I actually put up a facebook note titled "TMI" that included my current dilation. It just seems like a medical fact, like my blood pressure. But we are completely within our rights to not want to broadcast or volunteer the info.

· Registered
305 Posts
My MIL found out from my DH that I had started to dilate and she decided that it was fine to call my sister in law and tell her all about it. I don't really appreciate that because I don't feel that just because you happen to have some info about me that it is fair game to spread the news to anyone you open you mouth to!

· Registered
305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HarperCait View Post
OMG this thread is cracking me up.

I thought I had it bad a few days ago when a woman I *don't know* grabbed my love handles in the grocery store- to evaluate my weight gain and if I was carrying 'like a girl or a boy'.

I realize now it could have been so much worse!
I had someone I knew do that to me. They came up behind me and grabbed me around my belly and would not let go. I am sitting there trying to figure out who thinks they have the right to reach around my belly and hold on as if for dear life...My husband seemed to think it was funny but I am not a fan of being grabbed by anyone. Could have been a fatal mistake on the other person's part...HMMM-Maybe next time?

· Registered
1,611 Posts
ha ha ha!!!
i also hate the question but i know it's karma kicking me in the a*s for all the times i did it to other preggos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.