Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dd is almost three months old and does not seem to like to be in a wrap or sling. she loves for me to hold and carry her all day but when i put her in the wrap (We have an ultimate baby wrap) she strains and cries, i also have a hotsling but i really have to squeeze her into it and she cries in there too.

does anyone have any suggestions? my left arm is numb tonight from carrying her around all day

she won't let me put her down either and i have a wild toddler to chase after
:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use a Gypsy mama bali baby wrap. My DD doesn't like to be bound in any way, her legs and arms have to be free, she wants to be upright, but she wants to cuddle at the same time

You can tie one to fit the size, position desires of your baby....

Good Luck,
Crystal

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
DD would never tolerate any of the squished up carries (she never got the memo that newborns are supposed to like that
)

She liked cross-legged facing out in a hotsling sitting up and a MT.

-Angela

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
You could try a joey hold in the UBW (just make sure to tie it very snugly), with arms and legs out facing out, or you could look into something like a mei tai with an adjustable bottom to allow legs out. The CatBirdBaby Pikkolo is a new carrier that looks very cool and has a forward facing out position that provides good support for baby's bottom (i.e. not the crotch-dangle a la Bjorn).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't give up! And perhaps it's not just about the carrier but about temperment? Are you moving around, bouncing, going outdoors?

For the hotsling, don't squash her all inside; try tumy to tummy or buddha facing out. Make sure it's your size!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had the same problem when DS was a baby. He hated the hotsling and, granted, it seemed slightly too small. At 4 months, I started using the hotsling in the hip carry, and he absolutely adored it.

With this new baby, I'm going to try the Moby Wrap. We'll see!

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Sophie rejected BWing while awake except for the GM BB stretch, with legs out. Keep trying; babies have all sorts of preferences to niggle with. And the UBW at 3 months is probably saggy and maybe cinching on baby, uncomfy perhaps? I saw one of a friend's once and it looks SUPER stretchy. GL!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone. i tried the hip hold in hs and she likes that for a little while. longer than usual.

she loves facing out in the UBW but ...is that bad for her hips, legs, psyche. she will let me wear her that way all day but then i start to worry
:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Your double was at my babywearing meeting this week. Too weird! This baby was totally cool in a hip hammock but the mama hated that thing! She tried my Ergo & Connecta and that baby said NO WAY! Same for the wrap they have. I guess a hip carrier it is! I was honestly about ready to take scissors to this poor mom's hip hammock; if you took out the awful pad and replaced it it with a section of cloth threaded properly so it wouldn't slip, then you could spread it and have a better carrier. But I digress.
Think about a proper hip carrier such as a Mei Hip or ScootaBaby - it might be a bit better for a baby that is used to facing out.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
DD would never tolerate any of the squished up carries (she never got the memo that newborns are supposed to like that
)

-Angela
That was my dd, too. She never protested a MT. She still willingly goes in it at almost 2 years old.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
MT MT MT!! Just wanted to chime in!!

My daughter didn't like her tube sling until she was old enough to comfortably use it as a hip carry, didnt like anything where she wasnt upright and had some room. We tried so many carriers, and in the end the only thing she tolerated was a mei tei, and she did more than tolerate it... she LOVED it. I'd still carry her in it if my back wasnt causing me issues between pregnancy, degenerative disks and her being 32lbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm taking notes too. My 4mo son likes going for hikes in his babyhawk or my husband's ergo, but he hates, hates, hates the Maya wrap I would sooo like to use for NIP. In fact, he'll barely nurse at all in any carrier. And as for getting housework or writing done with him in a carrier ... forget about it! The minute I sit down he wants out of the carrier to the point of screaming if I don't untie it fast enough. What's up with that? I feel like I'm flunking babywearing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.