Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS will be 4 in a couple of months. He has started having a major attitude. He has started telling me no and I don't have to. He has started being bossy and rude. He is trying to puch the limits more every day. It is a complete switch from my sweet, respectful little boy. Is there a change or something that happens? Any advice? My niece was the same way when she turned 4.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmm, mine seemed to turn into very helpful children at 4. My experience from working as a dance teacher with young children is that they have such an incredible capacity for learning when they are 4-4 1/2. It's amazing how much they can absorb. I wonder if this has to do with the change we're noticing when they are 4?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I found 4 to be a much easier age than 3. That being said, my dd usually goes through a developmental change around her birthday and about 6months into any given age. About 4 weeks before and 2 weeks after these milestones she can be really difficult and then she shifts. Several other mamas I know have noticed this as well.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
YES! my totally sweet boy turned ... well, he suddenly had major attitude! Apparently this can be a difficult age, esp. for boys...

But it passes... like anything... It is nice to know about it before hand, though. Everyone warns you about 2, but that was pretty easy for us..

4 is "2 with attitude."

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe he is just having a growth spurt and that is why he is having an attitude change.....yes...I will let myself think that.
His bday is in june...only 3 months away....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh man - I know what you mean! My sweet girl is so different all of a sudden. She's 4 in April. It's like we went to bed one night and the next day I didn't know her anymore! And I spend every day with her. I'm just calling it an adjustment period where we get to know eachother again and figure out some new rules to live by. It sure is tough though...

·
Registered
879 Posts
About a year ago, I read that boys get a testosterone surge at four years old. (Sorry, no linky, since it was so long ago.) When I read that, a lot of DS's 4 yo behaviors made sense!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I noticed it more with my boys than my girls. They both seemed to become more aggressive, and to test my authority more. If my husband is involved in discipline, it really makes a difference, especially with the boys. It's like they need to know he backs me up-as unPC as that sounds. The testosterone theory makes sense to me.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, mine seemed to turn into very helpful children at 4. My experience from working as a dance teacher with young children is that they have such an incredible capacity for learning when they are 4-4 1/2. It's amazing how much they can absorb.
I agree.

This has been the case with all 3 of my children. They started getting out of the terrible 2-3's and got easier beginning at age 4, especially as they got closer to 5.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also noticing a distinct change in my son since he turned 4 in FEB. My sweet, loving little boy is bossy and full of attitude. He is also acting out at preschool and his teacher is constantly giving me a "talking to." He is at home with me and has been since birth with the exception of an occasional day at a grandparents. I am beginning to feel like a total failure as a parent and am wondering if perhaps he would benefit from full time Pre-K 4 classes next year. He only attends 2 afternoons a week now and he seems to enjoy going.

I wish I had a quick fix..I know there aren't any as far as paetning goes, but this is definitely tought than the "twos" were.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
I found 4 to be a much easier age than 3. That being said, my dd usually goes through a developmental change around her birthday and about 6months into any given age. About 4 weeks before and 2 weeks after these milestones she can be really difficult and then she shifts. Several other mamas I know have noticed this as well.
I noticed that this began happening to us early, like her first bday. It still holds true for her. I haven't noticed it so much in dc2 though. We'll see with him, he's only 19 mos.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
My son was TERRIBLE at 3 (after being a great toddler) and he reverted to his sweet self right before turning 4. He does have a bit of an attitude but he had that at 3 and he's less likely to have a huge tantrum if he doesn't get his way now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
DS was an absolute angel through the 2's. A week before he turned 3, he became possessed - there's no other way to describe it! I really wouldn't have been surprised to see his head spinning a few times in there! About 9 months into 3, he calmed down a lot. But you know, no one ever really warns you about 4. It's the "I know everything so I don't have to listen because I know best" age! He's still my sweet, lovable little boy, and I've noticed that he is a lot more eager to help, but boy when the attitude kicks up watch out! We have a real "listening" issue going on around here sometimes because of it! His DCP and preschool teachers say that it's completely normal at this age, and the good news is that he's halfway to 5 and it's starting to lessen quite a bit! I feel like I'm in early training for a teenagers some days though!

K.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
4 was a very difficult age for me with my first daughter. My second daughter has hit that stage at around 3.5. With my first 3.5 was just a harbinger of what was to come, so I'm a little worried.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
my dd went through a "funk" a few months ago. she started having quite an attitude and didn't want to listen when she was asked to do something, etc. but she's over it now. and is quite the little helper.
she'll be 4 early july.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.