Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... that is equivalent in style and quality to Mothering? I love reading my wife's Mothering issues and just today wondered out loud if there was an equivalent journal for fathers. I've done a quick search and found a few fathering sites, and one for "Fathering Magazine" (fathermag.com), but the site seems inordinately preoccupied with divorce, custody, and child support issues rather than the kinds of information found in the excellent Mothering. Granted I only gave it a quick glance, but it didn't appear to be of the same quality as everything associated with Mothering.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Well, kuro, I've only heard of the one you mentioned. But my SO reads Mothering a lot too. I've always thought that Mothering should have been called "Parenting" because it does address fathers issues as well. Is there any reason that you'd like a mag directed mostly at men? You may want to write a letter to the editor to Mothering and suggest more father-oriented articles. Or write one yourself!<br>
Sorry I couldn't help you with finding another father's mag...I will check around tho.<br><br>
Best Wishes, Kelly

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just ran across this, can't say if I like it or not (for my DH):<br><br><a href="http://www.daughters.com/" target="_blank">http://www.daughters.com/</a><br><br>
Thought I'd drop it in case it were useful (links & articles..?).

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Daughters is actually pretty good. (I don't have a daughter, but I read it anyway). It deals with girl's sexuality, need for privacy, stuff like that. I've noticed that-from the issues I've read-it seems more geered towards the parents of preteen-teenage girls. I could just be having selective memory. But, I've also noticed that most of the articles are written by moms, about moms, etc (just like 90% of the articles in 90% of the other parenting mags).<br>
~~>Kelly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking for. Mothering is very good and I bought my wife a copy of "Brain, Child" which has some great essays and articles in it. It seems that most of the father-oriented material (or at least a lot of it) is either religious in nature or about divorce-related issues. Neither of which I'm interested in. It would be cool to write something for Mothering, but since I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for to read, I likewise have no idea what to write about!<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
kurosch

·
Registered
72 Posts
a REAL dad zine would be cool. and by real, i mean sans mothering. dh is going to write a section of mine, but he could probably go off and do his own. he and his friend also want to start a "cool dads" group (so far only them in the group.. hehe) and i thought it was great... of course, i laughed at first, & then i questioned mself and said, "yeeaaah.. that would be cool" (it would also be cool to have some time alone for a little while)<br><br>
anyway.. .tangent.. dad zine. cool. i know of one small one written by a stay at home dad but it's more of a punk thing. not sure if you're into that.<br><br>
peace,<br>
joleen

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
28 Pages Lovingly Bound With Twine is a zine done by a sahd, and I like it quite a bit. Not everything in it has to do with being a parent, but the stories about his son are really well done.<br><br>
Joleen what was the zine you were referring to? I didn't think it was 28 Pages, since Christoph is a Buddhist and it's not punk in focus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by dallaschildren</i><br><b>Are you the same person who was posting over at the BBB and got into it with a poster named Flagger?</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Don't know of any other kurosches anywhere :) Flagger ruins many a thread for the wonderful ladies who are too polite to say so.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
He's not bad....I don't always agree with what he has to say, but that's why this country is so great...freedom to disagree.....<br>
What I can't stand is a few of the woman. It's like high school over there or something. I can't stand to see how rude some of them are and how hypocritical they act. And who in their right minds has the time (if they are taking care of their children mind you) to surf and post all day long like some of them do. And the questions some of them ask....can we say insecure! Some of them need a healthy dose of self-confidence. I could go on and on but I don't think it serves any purpose.....<br>
On the flip side, there are a few who seem to be really nice, caring people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts