Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I should be grateful that 3 1/2 YO DD has a love for music. And that she is happy and singing for hours on end. But it gives my such a headache! She sing very high in the register, without any real melody or tuning. And she repeats the same thing over and over and over... I know I should love the fact that she has been singing "I love mommy" for the last couple of hours, but it feels more like fingernails on a chalk board to me at the moment. I'm trying to teach her actual songs. I have a low alto voice, so I try to model a lower tone but she is a little girl so has a naturally high shrieky treble. I've even turned on the TV or video to give her something to sing along with. A couple of times I've totally lost it and told her to be quiet, but that's clearly the wrong answer. Any other suggestions or brainstorms for me?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Maybe you could ask her to sing quietly at some of the times? Maybe you could sing with her? Designate specific music times? I'm not sure.

Are you a musician? From your post, it sounds like what's bugging you is the repetitive and high pitched nature of her songs and that they are out of tune. I don't think it's realistic to expect her to sing in tune, even if she sings "actual" songs.

I'm glad to hear that you don't want to silence her songs. I think that is very important. My father did that to me and it caused me a lot of anxiety about singing in general. I have mostly worked through it now, but I am 35 years old. I felt like I was robbed of something beautiful and special for a long time.

If I think of anything else that might help, I'll post again. Gotta go help DD.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I know its totally unrealistic to expect "good" singing from a small child. And it really is the register in which she sings (very high) that gets to me. And yeah, I sing moderately well and am a regular church choir type singer. I don't want to keep her from singing, most of the time. Its just that sometimes I need a break.

I think today I may try a new kids CD in the background in hopes that she will join in and at least sing something different every couple of minutes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
BTDT!

When DD was 3 she sang "lullawee, luulabye, do the dishes for youuuuuuuuu!" over and over and over and over again. It was so grating.

Funny that I have no problem with the dishes, but her heart was in the right place, just not her vocal cords.

She stopped with the endless repetition songs after a few months, but she and DS are still prone to giving concerts for us!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
As long as you don't overuse it, I think its fine to say, "I need some quiet right now. Could you save your beautiful singing for later?" Its better for both of you if you set the boundry somewhere before your snapping point!

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Hey at least you aren't hearing firetruck sirens 8 hours a day like I did this weekend.

I agree with mamaduck -- it's OK to ask for quiet now and then. "Dear, I need to do some thinking right now and it's hard for me to think when people are singing/talking/shouting/making noises in the background.

In addition, it's OK to ask her to sing another song. "Hon, I love to hear you sing, but the same song over and over again isn't so much fun to listen to. What other songs can we sing?" (OK, what's worse is the same LINE of one song over and over and over again..)

I love the idea of putting different music on in the background. Our 2 year old sings constantly too (pretty much in tune and on key - I'm sure she's musical genius
), but has a good repretoire of songs. A lot of them came because I got some new music after a plea on MDC:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=470556

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaduck View Post
As long as you don't overuse it, I think its fine to say, "I need some quiet right now. Could you save your beautiful singing for later?" Its better for both of you if you set the boundry somewhere before your snapping point!
This is basically what I was coming back to say. Thanks, mamaduck.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My ds has been singing since he realized he could and does it at the top of his lungs with a lot of vim, vigor, and vitality for a long time every single day. Did I mention loudly? He also dances and claps alongg with his singing. I'm thrilled that he's such a happy boy. By the way, he's 5 years old and has been singing for YEARS. I do ask him to sing in another room - sometimes upstairs, sometimes downstairs. Sometimes i tell him that it's enough and that we need quiet now. I think that asking your dc to give it a rest or to sing elsewhere is just fine.

We should all have such problems that our kids are so happy!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My daughter sings constantly. Luckily it doesn't bother me. Maybe get your little one some music that she can listen to and some musical instruments. Then again that will probably cause more of an irritation but my dream is for my daughter to be musical.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
LOL, cause this is something my 4 1/2 year old just started now!!! She gets the words to songs ALL wrong and will sing the same line over and over and over. Like for instance that Jessica Simpson song... I think it is Public Affair or something like that, my dd likes that song and sings "There's a party outside and I don't care" and she will sing that over and over for at least an hour before she gets sick of it. One thing that I have found helps my sanity is to pop in a kid's cd that I like and then we will both sing along with the cd. That way she gets to sing, but it is less grating on the nerves to hear more than one line and hear it set to some music. I also sometimes will let Amelia know if I am just feeling cranky and can't handle noise at the moment. I let her know that it isn't her fault, but I am tired and cranky with a headache and need some quiet for awhile and we can sing later on. I don't want to squish her love for music at all, I just want for me to be able to manage that love for music sometimes too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts