Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think these hormone fluxuations that cause the super B to come out from nowhere happen? Like, what is the purpose, when mother nature was designing a pregnant woman...?

It doesn't seem to make sense to create pregnant women, with increased dependence on others (fatigue, increased hunger and thirst) and at the same time make her involuntarily have such emotional swings that can have the effect of turning others away when she needs them most.

What do you think, and do you have any advice for mellowing out when you feel IT coming on? I can't seem to get it to go away without the emotional uprising running its course for at least a few minutes. It sucks!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
eeeeek... IT! i became aquainted with "IT" the other day. i thought i was going to be immune... nope!

i've found that i need to focus on thinking before i speak, even moreso than usual, when i feel the angry pregnant rage coming on
i try to remind myself that making an issue out of something that's really nothing (though it seems like something at the time!) doesn't help anyone out. so when i feel it coming, i just take a moment mentally and really THINK about what it is that's bothering me. if it's a nothing-with-nothing issue i just remind myself that it's a weird horomone thing and let it pass. the key, i think, is to try your best not to explode until you truly, rationally decide that the situation is explode-worthy

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Well, I think we were designed that way to fit different circumstances
... Once upon a time, we weren't all trying to "hid" our pregnancies from the outside world in the first trimester. This time I've actually just been telling everyone, and I'm not nearly as witchy at home - I get a little slack and commiseration from everyone, so I don't expect DH to make up for everyone else ignoring poor nauseous tired little me, LOL...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pregnancy rage...there is a term for this! Ah, once you have found a diagnosis, you can begin to solve the problem. Your words have been helpful, mamas.

It's so scary how primal and raw it is. I feel like I'm an angry person sometimes, I feel sorry for dh for having to be around me and my negative energy, though I must say he's dealing with it better this time around.
: Guess experience makes a person more prepared for dealing with the prego monster?

I was telling dh this morning as we were laughing at me being such a grump that I truly hope this is an adjustment phase, that my body is adjusting to pregnancy hormones along with the breastfeeding hormones, and that I won't be this way the whole pregnancy, because I just don't think I can DO this if this anger--pregnancy rage doesn't go away. Seriously!

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I think anger is a normal reaction to stress, hunger, exhaustion, etc... I dunno know about you, but I'm nearly always all those things recently. It's not specifically designed for pregnant women.

We do seem to get it uniquely worse, though.

My mom has this acronym she uses (didn't make it up, just loves it) - HALT(TT)
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired
Thirsty
Toilet

Someone experiencing one or many of those things is not exactly in her right mind, and tends not to react well to the everyday crap around her. (I'd substitute Stressed for Angry, but that doesn't work in the acronym
) I'm all of those practically all the time, now, so it makes sense I'm not my usual, happy, go-with-the-flow kinda gal these days, y'know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.