Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is being bullied at school and on the bus, and nobody is taking any real action. I don't feel qualified to teach her, but I need to protect her.

Are there standardized tests for the homeschooled? Are there online 'classes' of some sort? How can I do this?

8(

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My very limited knowledge, has shown me that standardized tests come from the state. There isn't a homeschool version.

There are a variety of online schools. K-12 has a number of "academies" in various states as does Connections Academy. They may not be in all 50 states. However, if they are in your state, they do offer a free curriculum package, with most if not all being no cost to you. The down side is that you are apart of your local school district and may not be able to be a more independent hs'er because you'd still have to me state testing requirements.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
My daughter is being bullied at school and on the bus, and nobody is taking any real action. I don't feel qualified to teach her, but I need to protect her.

8(
Peruse the links given to you above -- also, try to find a homeschooling group in your area. I'm sure it would be helpful for you to speak with other homeschoolers face-to-face. Try looking for a yahoo group in your area (go to yahoo groups, and search "homeschoolers _______ (your town)" or "homeschooling _______ (your town)".

Bless you for pulling your daughter. I was bullied horribly at schol and I wish my parents would have done the same for me.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have some confidence issues where homeschooling is concerned, too.
This book was extremely helpful:
Homeschooling: Take a Deep Breath- You Can Do This by Terrie Lynn Bittner

Also- I decided to enroll with a local charter school that gives support and curriculum to homeschoolers. Its not right for everyone- you do have to do standardized tests, and meet with a teacher every so often, and turn in samples, but for me it was worth it to have the extra support.

Good for you for protecting your daughter!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rebecca Rupp's homeschooling books are great for a beginner, very comprehensive. I also find unschooling books to be very reassuring. I'm reading "The Relaxed Home School" right now and it makes me feel like I CAN do this.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes, there is a Homeschooling for Dummies book as well as The Complete Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling. I haven't read them, but I highly recommend this book: The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling. It's a book written by different experts and is very informative, comprehensive, and positive. I can't recommend it enough. In fact, I would say it's probably one of the best books for an absolute beginner.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Theres lots of online schools, including American School

When I was in highschool, I was getting groped on the bus and no one could do anything about it because they couldnt "prove" who was doing it (it happened as I walked past a certain group of boys on my way out of the bus). I really dislike public schools.

And Ive read the homeschool for dummies book and its really good actually!!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I have the "Homeschooling for Dummies" book and honestly, I don't think it's that great. It's okay, I guess, but I'd probably suggest that you go to a big book store, grab it and just spend an hour browsing through it, first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagira View Post
Yes, there is a Homeschooling for Dummies book as well as The Complete Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling. I haven't read them, but I highly recommend this book: The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling. It's a book written by different experts and is very informative, comprehensive, and positive. I can't recommend it enough. In fact, I would say it's probably one of the best books for an absolute beginner.
I totally second this recommendation, "The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling" is a much better book.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sha_lyn View Post
Actually the PASS was developed for in-home testing of homeschoolers

I'm *very* new to HS'ing. Could you explain more about PASS (or are there links?) I hadn't heard of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.