Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

My boy is teething and quite miserable. I usually treat for teething pain with motrin/tylenol/ambisol. Hyland teething tablets don't seem to do much for him.

so anyway here is my question. I know that pain during birth is there for a reason, so I choose natural births. Fever during illness is there for a reason, so I don't treat a fever w/ motrin. SO. . . does anyone know if pain during teething has a physiologic benefit OR does it just hurt. should I treat for pain or is it just making things worse in the long run?

Thanks for any insight!!!
Ann

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ann, that is a question that I have been wondering myself. I have no idea, but perhaps a Mama here will. Oh, and welcome Mothering!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunflower Mama,

Hey, thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you have a busy home.

I've been reading Mothering for years, just now had a reason to seek deeper insight online. Let's hope for some info.

Be well,
Ann

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Ugh. I don't believe in meds in general but after surviving such a horrible night last night, my little guy is getting tylenol tonight. Ugh. He is getting 2 molars and an incisor at 10 mos. AND has a cold and it's just not worth it. Tylenol IS bad for them in the long run. As is motrin, etc. But, I guess we have to weigh the situations. This will be the first time he's ever had tylenol so I guess that's not too bad.

But, I would hesitate to give it regularly for teething. Do a search on teething remedies. What works best for us is simply to let him gnaw on hard bread; ie pizza crust.
But, only after he had a couple of teeth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not a big medication giver either (In fact I just had to throw out most of what was in the medicine cabinet because it had expired).

What we did with teething pain was to use the Motrin at night or if we HAD to go out somewhere and I needed them to be less fussy (for example we had to go to a funeral when Dane was in the midst of a battle with a new tooth). That way we all got better sleep and I didn't feel like I was overmedicating them. During the day I could usually distract them by playing A LOT and nursing A LOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts