Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love steel cut oats, but I can't do them in the microwave, they always boil over it seems. I can't find a container tall enough. Is there any other way to do them so I can fix them quickly? Like an overnight soak or something?

TIA!
RDG

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Yup, soak 'em overnight with a tablespoon of whey or apple cider vinegar. In the AM, rinse them, cover with fresh water, and cook for -- oh, about 15 minutes or so? You can do a big pot of these, then microwave the leftovers as you want them.

HTH!
~Nick

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Usually if I soak oats overnight, I only have to cook them about 5 min in the morning. I only ever make very small quantities though, I don't know if that affects cooking time.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
They might get done in as few as five minutes. TBH, I really don't know, I usually turn the pot on low and then go drink my coffee and hang out w/my kids and wake up a bit, and by the time I do that and get everybody rediapered and downstairs...well, it's more than 15 minutes later.
So that was just a guess. If you did them on high they'd take less time, I'm sure. HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Do you have a crock pot? Put them in before bedtime on low heat and they're all ready in the morning.
Not "speedy" but much less work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I cook them at night before I go to bed by doing the following: Boil the water, add the oats to the rolling boil, let them cook for about 5 minutes in the boiling water, turn off and leave overnight. When we wake up in the morning they are done and can be heated. We don't use a microwave, so put them on the stove with a little bit of milk to heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.