Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 21mo is having a terrible time adjusting to a new baby. Its been 2.5wks and he still gets very upset, especially when I breastfeed.<br><br>
I just know he would feel better if he started bfeeding again, even if it was once a day. I keep asking him if he wants to try the milk & he says no. He often likes to hold my other boob when the baby is eating. Also he was curious to see the milk come out.<br><br>
I know its a weird question, but I just dont know what else to do to help him with the transition.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
How long ago did he stop nursing? It may seem foreign to him, even though he sees the baby do it. I guess I would just continue to offer a few more times, and if he says no, I'm not sure what else you can do. Is there something else fun you can offer him while you are nursing? maybe new books, toys, another special drink or snack? Something that is just for him that he gets while you sit down to nurse.<br><br>
Hope he adjusts to being a big brother soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My understanding (and experience) is that unweaning can be really helpful for toddlers adjusting to the transition of being an older sibling. If it's been a while since your son has nursed, it may take a while for him to get used to the idea, or even to remember how to latch on. It sounds like you are continuing to offer, which is letting your ds know that the option is always available to him. Another idea might be to start with a little mama's milk in a cup or bottle or shot glass and, once he remembers how yummy it is, he might be more eager to give nursing a shot.<br><br>
I read a great book during the early weeks and months with my second daughter -Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower. She had tons of information on unweaning and tandem nursing and really helped normalize the whole process for me.<br><br>
Congratulations to you on your new little one! Wishing you ease and harmony on this journey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts