Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Dr. Pepper addict, (Ok, like 1 a day) but I drink Gatorade because it is very hot on my job. I drink water, sweet tea and Gatorade at work - to try to totally avoid the dehydrating effects of soft drinks.<br>
The Gatorade really seems to do me good, but I'm having a problem with the HFCS and excessive coloring in it. Is there any similar drinks that don't have the corn syrup? OR is there at least a flavor of Gatorade that isn't funky colored?<br>
(Preferably one that comes in the powder because it's cheaper that way.)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Coconut Water is a wonderful replacement. It tastes good, and has more electrolytes than Gatorade. You should be able to find it at a HFS.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it taste like coconut though?<br>
I can only stand coconut drinks when they are ICE freezing cold (like I freeze pina coladas). Perhaps I could freeze it the night before and let it thaw in the heat as I work.<br>
If I can find it locally I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
It's the water from the middle of the coconut and not from the 'meat.' I don't think it tastes like the meat, but you might disagree. Also, you can buy it in flavors like orange, apple and passion fruit, so that might be more agreeable for you.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
when my son was sick once, I googled a recipe for making a homemade version of 'pedialyte' - here is the recipe:<br><br>
2 quarts water<br>
1-teaspoon baking soda<br>
1-teaspoon salt<br>
7 Tablespoons sugar<br>
2-teaspoon real Lemon or Orange juice<br>
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid (optional)<br><br>
**Salt should taste no more than tears**<br>
Kool-Aid is optional. Store in the refrigerator (24 hours or till it changes color). Be creative; use your special Kool-Aid to make ice cubes so it will stay cool in their bottle or sippy-cup. Or, insert toothpicks into your ice cubes before freezing and make homemade popsicles.<br><br>
Real pedialyte has this in it:<br>
Glucose, anhydrous (Sugar)<br>
Sodium chloride (salt)<br>
Sodium bicarbonate(baking soda)<br>
Potassium chloride(lemon juice or orange)<br><br>
~~~~<br><br>
I never use the Kool-Aid (always weird stuff in that, you know..) and I use rapadura sugar (less than the recommended amount) and sea salt. You might omit the sugar entirely and just increase the amount of lemon or orange juice for flavor. Maybe you could add some coconut water to it...I think I will try that next time I make this. Oh, and I've never really bothered with the storing in the fridge until color changes bit...I'm not sure if there's much point in that or not.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My husband recently switched from Gatorade to HEED from Hammer Nutrition. It has no HFCS or artificial ingredients.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a product called Recharge that is similiar to gatorade. Usually found in the health food stores, but lately I have seen it in the organic sections of supermarkets. It comes in large glass bottles or individual servings. I tried looking it up, but cannot find a site for it, maybe you will have better luck.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Kombucha<br><br><a href="http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/drinks.html" target="_blank">Sekanjabin</a>. That makes a syrup that you can dilute to taste.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I was going to mention something like <a href="http://www.vitacoco.com/products.htm?s=gaw&kw=[vita+coco]" target="_blank">Vita Coco</a>. It's expensive at the hfs but one of my neighbour orders it from our food buying club so it's more affordable. I heard it's a good alternative to Gatorade but have no first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This interests me too.<br><br>
I found the site with recharge. <a href="http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/detail.aspx?groupID=10&categoryID=56&flavorID=175&productID=245" target="_blank">http://www.knudsenjuices.com/product...&productID=245</a><br><br>
All it looks like is watered down juice with a bit of salt though.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Pickle juice.<br><br>
No, I'm serious. It's full of electrolytes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They do make clear Gatorade, but it can be hard to find. We tracked some down, I think it was called Ice Punch. Not sure if it comes in powder form.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You know what is really yummy? Ice cold red raspberry leaf tea with some sugar or honey. Can add a bit of baking soda and salt for electrolytes (like labour aid). Very refreshing even on it's own cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts