Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ergo and while I love how easy it is to use, it really digs in to my flab, particularly when using it on my back. So I end up wearing my daughter, who is almost 20 lbs on the front, and it ends up hurting after a short while. So... is the something else I can use, or am I doomed to have rolls until I drop my excess pound? TIA, Alicia

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
No advice here, but I would also like to know. I use a Patapum, and it is essentially the same carrier. I hate how it digs into my belly. I end up pulling my shirt up and over the waist strap to hide the belly overhang a bit.
I wish there were a wider waist band that went all the way around. Sort of like the part at the bottom of the carrier but going all the way around.

Hmm... Maybe I need to get into the business of making SSC for fluffier mamas!

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Have you tried a MT? My kozy isn't too bad on my pudge...

-Angela
I don't think you have the kind of pudge I for one am talking about.
No mei tai or SSC leaves me without rolls, though I definitely prefer the look of the mei tai because at least that gets tied at my natural waist (less comfy, though!).

·
Registered
721 Posts
for the op...is it painful or just not as attractive as you would like?

FWIW, the ergo waist buckle really digs into my hips. i do put it very low on my waist, to put the weight onto my hips and under my tummy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I LOVE my Beco Butterfly. Worth EVERY penny - and I'm a huge cheapskate!

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I bought a chunei for the pudge reason, and it definitely is not made for fluffy mamas. I bought the larger size, and I can't do the buckle if my son is in it. I am fluffy, but I don't think I am HUGE. I am a size 18 pants and a XL-2XL shirts (big boobs). It is the waist that doesn't fit on my chunei, my boobs can squish in there. I love the idea of it, but they are definitely made for thinner mamas.
Definite waste of money for me. I saved for that darn thing for so long and it has just hung on a hook taunting me since I opened the package.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
This is exactly the reason why I only use wraps now.

Do you use a wrap with your toddler? I am thinking about making one from a piece of fabric that I already have, but I am a chicken to start wrapping a 21 month old. I don't know if he would hang out on my back long enough to get him in securely. I occasionally have to wrestle him into the Patapum, so I can't imagine trying to tie something like that with a tantruming toddler on my back. He always calms down as soon as he is back there, but GETTING him there can occasionally be an effort.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I also prefer my kozy. It's more comfortable and I think also more flattering.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i believe Nana's Jetpak makes a model for fluffier mamas (i think it's called the EX?) that might help, as there'd be more waist pad.

i do think the MT hides it a little better, since there's straps hanging down to block the view.

as for wrapping a toddler, i think you'd need a good sturdy woven wrap to do it comfortably. probably a short-ish wrap that you could do a quick ruck-sack carry with - i don't think a toddler, especially one who's not already familiar with being wrapped, would sit still for something like a BWCC.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
This is exactly the reason why I only use wraps now.

I loved my wrap when my DD was small, but I only have a stretchy Moby and she is just to heavy for it. Also while I love them, wraps just aren't as convenient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
If you are talking about the shoulder straps, a Calyx. I also really like my chunei.
No, I'm talking about how it digs into my belly, and instead of having one large stomach I end up with two big ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
i believe Nana's Jetpak makes a model for fluffier mamas (i think it's called the EX?) that might help, as there'd be more waist pad.

i do think the MT hides it a little better, since there's straps hanging down to block the view.

as for wrapping a toddler, i think you'd need a good sturdy woven wrap to do it comfortably. probably a short-ish wrap that you could do a quick ruck-sack carry with - i don't think a toddler, especially one who's not already familiar with being wrapped, would sit still for something like a BWCC.
I think this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!
I might just get me a kozy too (if I come across some extra dough) since I've never tried a MT. Thanks everyone for your help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.