Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 month old boy who tried to quit nursing at 9 months, but I artificially inflated the breast supply by pumping after every nursing session. I did that for two months and thought I had the supply firmly re-established (this was also a very time consuming endeavor because it added 20 minutes to every nursing session and I have a three year old!). So I stopped the pumping. A few weeks later, my little one stopped nursing. He just refused to latch on. The few times I did get him to latch on, he would just immediately lose interest and bite. So I tried the pumping method again, built up a supply again, and tried to nurse him again, but by then, he just wasn't interested any time but at night.

To make matters worse, pumping stopped working. The best I can figure is my breast became so misshapen and stretched out that it no longer could be pulled enough to get the milk to come out. I even bought a brand new pump. So I have to hand express. I developed nasty rashes on both breasts doing this, but I combated it successfully with a mild steroid and by slathering on creams before I do it.

Then, he stopped nursing at night, too, because he wasn't getting anything. He'd nurse, and nurse and nurse and I listened as hard as I could and I couldn't hear any swallowing. He'd nurse for 40 minutes and then cry afterwards when I just had to pull him off because it hurt so much. So he stopped nursing at night.

He just turned 13 months old. I've continued to supply breast milk to him through pumping three times a day. At first I'd get between 2 and 3 ounces each time. Then, 2 ounces, then one ounce, now I barely squeeze out an ounce, mostly it's half ounce. This is happening so fast.

I just started supplementing with fenugreek. I have been on it for less than 48 hours and have not noticed anything yet. but I am still hoping. Other than that, is there any hope for me and my baby to keep up the breast milk supply? Does my body just know I'm not nursing anymore?

I should add that I try really hard to pay attention to eating enough and the right foods. Lots of oatmeal, spinach every day, fresh fruits and vegetables, high protein. I really don't think it's my diet.

I'm just a little sad since my plan was to nurse DS for two years at least. I weened DD at 20 months because I was three months pregnant and it's kind of sad because she would have still been nursing. Then DS comes along and I'm positive I can nurse him until he weens himself, and then he weens himself so early, it's just too early. maybe i'm wrong about that, too. maybe it's just fine that he weened himself. I mean, he is really healthy and happy. he's in the 90th percentile for weight and height....

Any advice? anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I had 1 wean at 13 mo old, but I discovered a few weeks later I was pregnant -- I guess he knew b/c my supply disappeared FAST! He also had been nursing less and less and at 10 mo old was not interested in nursing to sleep.

I was crushed, but then my next nursed until she 2 1/2 plus.

Now my 4th has just been a very difficult experience from the get go. I have been learning to accept our fate. I'm pumping much less these past few days, which is typical before my AF. I'm taking Dom b/c my prolactin levels were way down for a nursing mom and due to a few things, my milk supply went down. I had it recovered and then I ran out of Dom and I have not recovered from that set back, despite having DOM and a nursing baby. I simply am not producing enough milk all the time for his needs.

I am accepting that he needs to be supplemented with formula and that it is okay to do this. I sometimes feel I'd like to be all bfing or all ffing b/c this pumping and feeding and nursing and ffing is for the birds. However, every ounce of breast milk is one less ounce of formula he take in.

I am doing the best I can. I am trying as hard as I can given my other obligations to 3 other children. My house is falling apart, literally, it is at a disgustingly dirty state. I am realizing I can't continue with this routine of mine pumping all the time and feeding and neglecting my other children and household management duties (clean laundry, clean dishes, a place that is clean to prepare meals, etc). I just haven't made the plunge to say all ffing. He had more FF yesterday than he has had ever and it's b/c I was pumping so little and he was so unsatisfied after nursing sessions.

Maybe today will be better, maybe my AF will come and I can know oh that is why, or maybe the time has come that DOM isn't going to work and I need to move on and accept our nursing time is over, he's 8 mo old now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My DS never nursed to sleep, even as a young brand new baby. I remember noticing that right away and thinking how odd it is. Another friend of mine's baby girl never nursed to sleep and she weened around 11 months, too. for some babies, i think the food is more important that the suckling and closeness and when the supply drops, that's it for their interest. my DD was totally different and is still very much attached to me. she doesn't nurse anymore, but she definitely would have been still nursing if i hadn't weened her three months into my second pregnancy. she started rubbing my arm for comfort from age 6 months or sooner (can't remember) and still does that throughout the day and whenever falling asleep.

Everything was great with DS before AF arrived. I nursed him fulltime for 7 months and very slowly introduced solids since i'd learned from my first one not to rush it. but as soon as AF came at 9 months, i started having a lot of trouble. This is also strange because with DD, I got AF after 6 weeks!!!! and I never had any trouble.

I know what you mean about accepting it. THere comes a point when you say "i've tried everything" and now it's time to let it go. The only thing I havne't tried yet? Having DH suckle on the nipple!!!! Ha Ha! I'm afraid to have DS latch on again. it's been over two months and i'm afraid he'll bite me hard. plus, i just know it won't be effective.

thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
my dd quit nursing at 8mos. it literally happened overnight. we planned to CLW, so i was beyond devistated. i mean, i've never lost an immediate family member, but the pain was like that. it just wouldn't go away, and to make matters worse my two BFFs were nursing their babes. i'm thrilled that they chose to BF, but it was always a reminder when we were together of what i was missing as they snuggled with their babes and i plugged myself into the wall for the umpteenth pumping session of the day. having dd not want to nurse was the ultimate rejection. i still remember the date--10/12/06, and i'm really dreading the anniversary. while it has gotten better, it still gets me down if i dwell on it.

at first i had an easy time with supply, but the older dd got, the harder it was to pump, and the lower my supply dropped. my dd never wanted to go back to the breast, no matter what i tried. so i kept pumping, just up until 2 months ago, when dd was 17mos. i'm not telling you all this to sound hopeless, but rather so you know that you can come out the other side of this and be ok. that your ds still loves you with all his heart, and while it's challenging, you can find new ways to promote that special bond with him (as i'm sure you already have). it's so hard, but you can make it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.