Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a 4 year 8 month old and an almost 8 month old. A couple of weeks ago my almost 8 month old outgrew her snugride and her new Complete Air is going to be a Christmas present from the grandparents so we have to wait a few more weeks to get it. So, in the meantime I've moved the baby into older DD's BLVD and put DD1 into her turbobooster full time. She LOVES her booster and LOVES being able to ride in it all the time. She sits properly every time, the fit on her is fine (shoulder belt hitting in the right spot and waist belt hitting low on the hips) can buckle and unbuckle herself (something she could never do with the BLVD) and just does fabulous with the booster. She is in general a very mature child. She is however on the small side - she is 40 inches and about 37-38 lbs. So, is it ok at this point to keep her in booster or should I put her back in the BLVD after we get the baby's new seat?</p>

·
Registered
804 Posts
<p>i'd say she should go back in... it's safer and aren't boosters to be used at higher weight limits? I don't know what your local laws are but i would also look at that</p>

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
<p>I would put her back in.  It's worth harnessing for as long as possible.</p>

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p>There is no data that an older child who can sit properly in a booster is safer in a harnessed seat or a booster.  Personally, I side with the swedes and thing rfing as long as possible is ideal, and harnessing ffing is less than ideal, so I move my kids to boosters as soon as they are mature enough (as long as they are at least 4yo).  If she sits fine in the belt and loves it, keep her there. </p>

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
<p>As long as she's sitting properly 100% of the time, I'd leave her. I too tend to go with the swedes in thinking that harnessing ff is no safer and quite possibly less safe than boostering. DS1 is harnessed ffing but I totally look forward to the time when he can be boosterd. Good luck!!</p>

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
<p>There is absolutely no evidence that harnessed seats are safer for children <strong>who are able to use boosters properly</strong>.  Not all 4.5yos are able to (sitting properly without messing with the belts) -- in fact, I'd say that most cannot -- but if a child is one of the few that is able to consistently and correctly use the booster properly, she's perfectly safe in it.  And the Turbobooster usually fits smaller booster riders wonderfully.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do not believe boosters are MORE safe than FFing harnessed seats, but I don't believe they are less safe either.  There is some convincing but nonconclusive evidence that harnessed seats perform better in certain crashes, and some convincing but nonconclusive evidence (none of which I have in linkable form) that boosters perform better in certain crashes.  Bottom line is that they are both very safe choices when used properly, and I consider it a parental choice based on preference and convenience.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(P.S.  To the two Canadian posters who recommended re-harnessing -- boosters have a 40# minimum in Canada, true, but most highbacked boosters have a 30# minimum in the US so the OP is probably making a legal choice as well as a safe one.)</p>

·
Registered
457 Posts
<p>I have a question. Does anyone have links? I looked into this issue myself for my child. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are we talking accident evidence or those sled tests in labs? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I harness my almost 7 year old. I'm not totally convinced it's safer but she only recently was good about the booster and not always (she's very active). She likes the Radian because she can more easily attach herself. Having three in the back of a Yaris means her seat takes up less room than a booster (most, I should add). </p>

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
<p>I'm sorry, I don't have links.  My thoughts come both from sled tests and accident evidence, and also from years of experience and a fairly reliable (and informed) "gut" feeling.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The "problem" with sled tests is that they only test certain size dummies, and test dummies always sit still and don't mess with belts and are not out of position.  And the "problem" with accident evidence is that when they say "booster" they don't differentiate between an outgrown Alpha Omega in booster mode (quite possibly one of the worst boosters ever, IMO/IME) and a perfectly used Parkway, and neither do they differentiate between harnessed seats.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Evidence, both statistical and anecdotal, is very clear that both properly used boosters and properly used harnessed seats are very, very safe.  Some techs, including me (and yes, I'm a mama too and understand the desire to be as safe as possible) feel that the difference -- if there even is one -- is truly negligible.  Children in properly used restraints are very very safe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My own child was harnessed past her seventh birthday because I didn't think she was able to use a booster properly.  I'm all for being conservative about "proper booster use".  I also frequently recommend harnessed seats for tight three-across situations because I think they're much easier to use properly.</p>

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
<p>I think the <span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>theories</strong></span> are as follows:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A five point harness is safer in a side impact and rollover because it keeps the body aligned better and contained.</p>
<p>A booster is safer in a front impact because there are less loads on the neck, as one shoulder is also going to come forward. Neck loads are a HUGE thing---IIRC Dale Earnhardt died because he was in a 5pt harness but his helmet was not anchored.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I really don't have any issues with keeping a child in a booster either who is mature enough to sit still 100% of the time. No reaching, no leaning, etc. DS1 can't. He still fits RF in our car and I plan on booster training once he learns to sit still a little better and listen. He is 4.5yo and 34lbs.</p>

·
Registered
457 Posts
<p>What about the fact the seat is anchored to the car? I'm using a tether and that makes me <em>feel</em> it's safer. Not sure if that's just a perception. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Like I said, I'm using it primarily because she likes her seat, she stays better in it and she can attach it herself. Oh yeah, and the fact it still fits her lol! For the record, we now use a booster in my dh's much bigger car (Land Rover, now Lexus) and the Radian stays in my smaller Yaris. We no longer pfaff with re-installing it unless it's for a long trip/vacation.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would say to the OP, it might also depend on what you're driving. My car is itsy bitsy so I feel safer with her in a 5 point.</p>

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
<p>If you're doing a tight 3-across and it's just plain EASIER and your LO still fits, then by all means leave them harnessed. Ease of use is crucial to PROPER use for many people, and it's easy for a younger booster rider to accidentally unbuckle a harnessed seat in tight situations. Case in point: I've had to reinstall DS1's Nautilus several times in the back row of MIL's car, because my niece (almost five) will unbuckle his seat when she's undoing her booster. I keep meaning to try it again w/ LATCH but it wasn't the best install last time... meh. I guess I'd rather have "one inch of movement but definitely buckled" over "solid install... but may get unbuckled unexpectedly". :)</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts