Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a local chapter of Momsclub in our town. I am curious to know if anyone else has been involved with this group and if they became members.

I became a member and I have noticed that the club handbook states one thing and the group does another. It was only $20 and I am just going to let my membership run out in the next few months. I noticed going to the group activities that I could do this on my own and meet people who are more like minded as me.

So this is only to inform, I am not looking to start a debate- just what is your club like or what was the group you investigated like? They are international so I am curious what goes on...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i was a member of momsclub. We ended up breaking our playgroup away from them - they had stupid rules and were totally inflexible. ie. we had one mama who'd been with us since the very beginning - but her son was older so they told her that she "had" to go to a different playgroup. We obviously didn't want her to leave our group. Then on top of that they changed the "boundaries" so that basically our group would've been split geographically. Plus i didn't like their stupid newsletter and it certainly wasn't worth $20.

My best friend came from the original playgroup (actually the mama who was told she had to leave cuz her son was six months older)... and we still meet twice a month now that our older kids are mostly in preK (tho not mine, we homeschool) and the little ones are on different nap schedules

My new playgroup is from church - more likeminded and ap. A few cloth diaperers, and lots of bfing mamas.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
One of the groups I was in was great, the other not so great. The not so great one I just went to one playdate and that was it. Nothing really wrong with it, I just felt out of place and like I wouldn't click. The first group was wonderful. Very organized, active and welcoming of new members. I think who the leaders are makes a big difference. I found it very laid back, not a lot of stupid rules at all. The community as a whole was like that though (Ventura, CA- smallish beach community). There were some more crunchy AP'ers, some not so much, but I get along with both types. No one was really a babywise/detached parenting type though.

What do you mean about saying one thing in the handbook and doing another? What was going on in that group?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momsgotmilk4two
What do you mean about saying one thing in the handbook and doing another? What was going on in that group?

Well, I contacted the regional person who handles all the area clubs. She said that we should form a board, vote on issues, have a firm handle on the treasurery, have a chapter rules guide, and spending money has a strict guideline that also goes along w the IRS. We have none of the above. Also, the group was founded to give support to at home moms and support that lifestyle- which in some cases means living on a strict budget, child friendly etc. At our Nov meeting someone wanted to do a christmas party (a club no-no, its holiday party or winter party) and wanted to do a grab bag for the kids with a $10 limit. If you have a few kids, that could be expensive and I immediatly said that. As well as a grab bag for the moms night out. I was completely ignored and at this point someone had a hat going around to draw names! What should have happened was a vote to decide come to find out.

Also we have had guest speakers come and a lot of the moms were rude- having side conversations, another had her kid screaming on her lap next to the speaker, etc. She didn't have half the sense to take him out of the room.

A couple of the moms are not the sort I associate with as well- one smacks her 1 yr old (has for a few months), you get my point. So at this point I am on my way out. How were the rules laid out at your club(s)?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Oh, wow. Ours was totally different. That is what I meant when I said I think it depends on the board members. We did have a board that was re elected every year, we all voted on it. Once monthly meetings were also held and we voted on issues at those and had speakers. This was held at a church meeting room which was connected to a child care room that we used (we rotated who watched the kids and who stayed at the meeting and kids were welcome in the meeting room as long as they weren't screaming). We also kept budets of the moms in mind because as you say, sah usually means you are on a budget. I was actually on a commitee and I read the handbook and it even talked about that. The newsletter was very well put together and informed you of all of the activities for the month. I had a really good experience. The club I tried to join when I moved here (Orange County, CA) seemed much more inactive and disjointed so I never got involved. I joined an AP group instead. I like my AP group, the women are wonderful, but I do miss the MOMS Club just because it was so organized and you could count on certain things happening on certain days virtually forever and there was always a big turn out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.