Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a question about teething in the Todder's forum, and realized from one of the replies I got that DS is going through the 18 month sleep regression. Aaakkkkkkk!<br><br>
(Here's some info, if you're curious or going through the same thing: <a href="http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006/04/qa_18month_slee.html" target="_blank">http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006...onth_slee.html</a>)<br><br>
He has been teething on and off since last October, and I think I missed the window to nightwean him when he went back to his "normal" pattern of waking every 2 -3 hours back sometime in January.<br><br>
I've tried NCSS, it hasn't worked for us. At 14 months I tried the "nursies go night-night" approach, which was a disaster.<br><br>
I think now he might be more ready for sleeping through the night - he is certainly showing signs of maturity in other areas.<br><br>
Can I try to do the Dr. Jay Gordon plan with him while he is waking and asking to nurse every 30 minutes to 1 hour? I am so exhausted and at my wits end with this. I keep thinking of all the things I need and/or would like to get done during the day that I just can't do because I am so spent.<br><br>
Help!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Honestly, I nightweaned all of my boys very gradually with no crying between 6-12 months old and it worked very well. I think it's easier when they're younger. Opinionated toddlers are quite set in their ways unfortunately!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I honestly think the window between their eye teeth and their two year molars is a good time. I have had nothing but a happy baby for the past 5 months! My ds is 25 mo and I'm nightweaning now...hoping to get it done before he starts those molars.<br>
Just my opinion, though<br><br>
Wendi

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
IMO it is really best, if possible, to wait to night wean until they have a level of understanding about not nursing at night but nursing again come morning.<br><br>
Infancy is too early to nightwean, period.<br><br>
Some kids have the needed level of understanding by 18 months. Others not until around 3yrs.<br><br>
We never night weaned. Dd is 3.5 and if she wakes at night (about once a week or so...) she still nurses back down.<br><br>
I can't imagine how I would have dealt with 2yr molars if she was nightweaned at that point.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
558 Posts
I nightweaned ds about 2 months ago (he was 17 months), and I think it was as good a time as any. The thing about it is that you really need to be ready and have a strong motivating factor for doing it. If I wasn't feeling the affects of a multiple pregnancy and *needing* to sleep better, I doubt I would have had the courage to even attempt it.<br><br>
It's not easy, and as scared as I was to actually follow through with it, it was one of the best decisions we made. Dh now sleeps with ds, (that was how we nightweaned, dh took over the night time wakings and comforting), ds settles MUCH easier when he does wake, and momma gets the sleep she needs. We are a happier family for it I think.<br><br>
For us, it was essential that I removed myself from the family bed. At first, I started with the initial waking, letting dh comfort ds, and I would nurse him the rest of the night. Then I let dh handle the first <i>and</i> second waking, and so on, until I was not nursing him at all. His sleep stretches lengthened, and after about 2 weeks he was nightweaned. Dh's support was really important, if you have a partner that is willing to help you I definitely recommend going that route.<br>
Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarbear, that sounds like a great idea. We did try in the past to have DH take over, but we tried to have him take over every waking, which didn't work.<br><br>
I am wondering about the timing. DS usually sleeps at 7:30, and has his first waking to nurse b/t 9:30 and 10:30.<br><br>
Dr. Jay Gordon recommends a 7 hour stretch for nightweaning, i.e. 11-6.<br><br>
I'm wondering if I should have DH do the first waking after 11, and then take over, or if that will just confuse things. Since I would be nursing him after that, it should be ok do have DH start with the 1st waking, right?<br><br>
BTW, if this doesn't make any sense, it is just because I am sOOO tired!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts