Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really just don't know what to do. I am beyond stressed lately and need some advice. I posted before, but am hoping to get some fresh ideas.
For starters, Dd does not eat. I don't mean she only eats one food or is picky. She does not eat. A good day is a few tablespoons worth of food. She doesn't drink any liquid other than breastmilk and she only nurses a few times a day. Because of this she isn't gaining weight and was losing it for a while.
The second thing is she doesn't sleep. It takes over an hour to get her to sleep, no matter what time I put her down. a good night is when she wakes up only 3 times. A bad night is so many I don't count. She has now basically stopped napping. The last few days she has taken a 30 minute nap at about 4 in the afternoon. Today, no nap.
Is there something wrong with her? If so, where do I start?? She has had blood work done when she started losing weight, but it came back negative for anything.
ETA: she is 15 months and has been this way for several months.

Thanks for offering any suggestions you have!

· Registered
1,040 Posts
15 months is a hard age. Very active, never eating or sleeping. Is your child mostly happy? Walking? Speaking or signing at least 1 word? Does the doc say she's ok?
I suggest to proceed as normally as possible. Use a toddler carrier. Keep nursing, offer to nurse every hour. Offer many foods and drinks (treats, too, like juice and chocolate milk). Get lots of active time, lots of downtime.
Seek advice from a nutritionist and lactation consultant. They may have ideas about supplementing your baby's diet with cream, pediasure, or a protien formula.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply!
the doctor is concerned about her not gaining weight, but there isn't a medical reason that we can see for why she doesn't eat.
She is meeting milestone's and seems very smart. It's clear she needs more sleep, she has dark circles under her eyes. And I think it really affects her mood. She can be a very emotional girl and intense.

· Registered
5,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
have you considered food allergies or intolerances?
Yes, that was my first thought too, after reading your posts.

Dark circles can be caused by food allergies/intolerances. They can also affect weight gain.

When your DD does eat, what does she eat? She also might be reacting to the food(s) through your breastmilk.

There are many mamas over on the Allergy forum that could help you out, I would suggest cross posting over there.

· Registered
340 Posts
I know you probably don't want to hear this but my DS wouldn't sleep at night until I finally stopped co-sleeping and night weaned him at around 15months. I had to do it for my sanity because I was getting depressed from being sleep deprived. I can't remember when he finally started napping well. You know how they say that sleep begets sleep.

As for the food, like the PP said, try to encourage her to nurse often and leave drinks and food on a low table for her to graze at. Put a variety of fun snacks in a muffin tin and leave it out. Play a game where you do a sequence of events like do a silly walk into the living room and then back into the kitchen and you both take a bite of banana or something.

The only other suggestion is to maybe find a child friendly chiropractor. I took DS to one for his colic and I've heard other people swear by it.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
Yes, that was my first thought too, after reading your posts.

Dark circles can be caused by food allergies/intolerances. They can also affect weight gain.

When your DD does eat, what does she eat? She also might be reacting to the food(s) through your breastmilk.

There are many mamas over on the Allergy forum that could help you out, I would suggest cross posting over there.
Unfortunately, when she does eat, it's food that are high on the allergies list, I think. Home made wheat breads, peanut butter, almond milk, etc. We don't do dairy, so I drink soy milk and I cook with it. She gets almond milk and rice milk usually.
I've thought of allergies before, but was never sure and it seemed like such huge, daunting task. I will look in the allergies forum.
Thanks for the suggestion!

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babsbob View Post
I know you probably don't want to hear this but my DS wouldn't sleep at night until I finally stopped co-sleeping and night weaned him at around 15months. I had to do it for my sanity because I was getting depressed from being sleep deprived. I can't remember when he finally started napping well. You know how they say that sleep begets sleep.

As for the food, like the PP said, try to encourage her to nurse often and leave drinks and food on a low table for her to graze at. Put a variety of fun snacks in a muffin tin and leave it out. Play a game where you do a sequence of events like do a silly walk into the living room and then back into the kitchen and you both take a bite of banana or something.

The only other suggestion is to maybe find a child friendly chiropractor. I took DS to one for his colic and I've heard other people swear by it.
The chiro is a good idea! I will look into that.
I've thought about night weaning too, but I'm reluctant to do that until she gains some weight.
Thanks!

· Registered
2,912 Posts
How does she sleep? (meaning, how does she end up falling asleep, does she get disturbed really easily while sleeping?)

I assume you have treated/ruled out this being from teething? It can definitely affect eating/sleeping habits - we had several crazy months ourselves with wacked out sleep habits.

Allergies would be good to look into, like was mentioned.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
How does she sleep? (meaning, how does she end up falling asleep, does she get disturbed really easily while sleeping?)

I assume you have treated/ruled out this being from teething? It can definitely affect eating/sleeping habits - we had several crazy months ourselves with wacked out sleep habits.

Allergies would be good to look into, like was mentioned.
She either nurses to sleep or wears herself out flopping around and fighting sleep. She is pretty easily disturbed. She's not usually a deep sleeper.
It's been going on for so long that I don't think it could be from teething. I wish though!

· Premium Member
1,788 Posts
My daughter was a horrible sleeper. Like your daughter, I had to rock her and literally hold her down, wrapped up, so she would pass out. I ended up co-sleeping with her, and that helped some. She was able to stay asleep long, because in her crib she would wake up. She didn't sleep through the night until only a few months ago, and her napping was always horrible [unless I was sleeping with her..]

So, for the sleeping thing, it will get better. We now still don't nap sans 20 minutes in the afternoon MAYBE, but she's in bed by 7:30pm and sleeps until 7am.

I'd agree the food thing MAY be allergies. It also may just be her age - some babies are fussy and super active, and some aren't. BUT DEF see into her allergies, especially if she's eating things that high on the allergy list.

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
For my kids, sleep issues were always health-related, but not in scary bad ways. Removing gluten and dairy from our diets was helpful, and my daughter (but not my son) needs extra magnesium every night to fall asleep. That tossing and turning, tired but not sleeping thing was magnesium from a very early age. Much nicer once we figured that out.

Dark circles for us are a combo of food intolerances and nutrient deficiencies (which seem to be exacerbated by food intolerances), and a few folks have seen links with low appetite and zinc deficiency. Sounds daunting, maybe, but honestly I find gluten and dairy free living a lot less stressful than what we were dealing with in the past. We're happier, life is easier. The transition isn't great, doing extra work and not seeing everything improve at once, but over time, yeah, worth it (if not food, then the more general problem--all my kids' odd/difficult stuff has been health-related and the search has been worthwhile).

FYI--our food issues are not the kind that traditional allergy testing would identify. Food journals and elimination may be best, it doesn't sound like you're seeing anaphalactic-type reactions.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
We deal with feeding issues a lot over in the SN forum and one thing that seems to help a lot of people with reluctant (as in non) eaters is to use food play. Allow her to play with food and also allow her to spit out things she doesn't want. Sometimes a level of desensitization is necessary (and I know this is pretty common with typical kids, so it's not just a SN issue), so, "walking" food up your/her arm, getting it close to her mouth but not forcing it, making funny faces with the food - in a very low-stress manner and incrementally, can help.

Also, have you had her checked for reflux? The combo of sleep & eating issues makes me think that that could be a cause. Frequently reflux is silent, but common symptoms are crying/irritability, sleep issues, weight loss/feeding difficulties. It's worth checking out. Here's a fact sheet about it.

ETA: I just wanted to clarify that I'm not suggesting you run off to a doc, just a possible explanation if other things don't work.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
Unfortunately, when she does eat, it's food that are high on the allergies list, I think. Home made wheat breads, peanut butter, almond milk, etc. We don't do dairy, so I drink soy milk and I cook with it. She gets almond milk and rice milk usually.
I've thought of allergies before, but was never sure and it seemed like such huge, daunting task. I will look in the allergies forum.
Thanks for the suggestion!

It is a huge daunting task until you realize it is easier than never getting any sleep! BTDT. If it's food intolerances, her appetite will improve when the offending foods are removed. I would start with gluten and soy, since you don't do dairy.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
If you do suspect food stuff, you will have to remove it for at least 28 days to see any effect. I have been having chronic sinus problems and had tried removing dairy/soy/gluten/nuts/corn from my diet for about 10 days each, with no effect (I have little willpower when DH is still eating bread, peanut butter, tofu, etc.). I finally broke down and went to a naturopathic doctor who told me, "Oh no, you have to take things out for at least a month before you will get all the residuals out of your system." He also sends bloodwork out for a comprehensive allergy test of something like 190 common foods, so if you take out the common offenders and are still stumped, you could go for more specific allergy testing if you still suspect allergies.

I think a chiropractor might also be a good person to consult with. Good luck. Sleep deprivation is a killer for everyone.

· Registered
899 Posts
Have you looked into gluten intolerance/celiacs? These symptoms sound like signs of gluten intolerance (although, obviously they could be other things as well but it is one option.) It is hard to test for it at such an early age but you could take her off of gluten (be diligent, it is EVERYWHERE) and see if there is a difference. Celiac.com has a lot of gluten free info.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
My first thought it food allergies/intolerance aswell.

What about reflux?

My dd is the same exact way, IMOF it took her an hour and a half to fall asleep last night!

In our situations i think its all related to something she is eating that effects her metabolically. It over stimulates her, so that she cannot sleep. I have read that magnesium and calcium deficiencies can cause sleep issues.

I hope you get some answers mama! Best luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.