Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the situation. I have 4 kids. The oldest is 8 and I nursed him until he was 9 months old. At age 4 he was diagnosed with Autism. My oldest dd is 5 and I only nursed her for a month because she was tongue tied and I didn't know or have any support. She is totally normal for her age. I nursed my 2 y/o until she was 18 months old and she has a severe speech delay. I have been nursing my baby for 5 1/2 months and I am terrified that if I continue to nurse her that she will have some sort of developemental delay as well.

I want to do what is best for her, but is my milk really best? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I know it's hard when you have older children with special needs and ones that don't. You second guess everything you do and compare what you did with one that you didn't do with the other trying to figure out what went wrong. Sometimes it's not that easy, especially with Autism and other developmental delays. I sometimes wonder if my step-son, who has Autism isn't that way because of medications his mother was on during pregnancy, the way she treated him before she took off, or if it had something to do with the formula he was on... (Or vaccines, meds, multiple moves, and on and on). I'm scared I'm having a boy and whatever genetic triggers are from my husband's side and end up with two special needs children. Our daughter is neurotypical, so I feel pretty confident there. We do the best we can with our children and sometimes we make mistakes. I just don't believe breastfeeding is one of them except in cases of galactosemia. (SP?)

Unless you are on some sort of medications, I wouldn't credit your breastfeeding or lack thereof for the developmental issues your children are having. Even with me being on psych meds for depression through both of my pregnancies, and nursing DD through this one, she's not shown any signs of any problems. (Hormones do a number on my brain chemistry) Keep up the good work, Goldiemom for nursing your babies. Nurse as long as you want to. It does you and your babies a world of good.

Anna

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much Anna. Being a parent and doing right by our kids is paramount. I will continue to nurse Piper because we have such a great nursing relationship. If she does have any developemental delays, I will at least know the signs and be able to get her help right away. I suppose I will always wonder in the back of my mind if there was something "wrong" with my milk though.
:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.