Mothering Forum banner

Mason- boy name, girl name, or gender neutral?

• Boy name

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Girl name

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gender neutral

Votes: 27 18.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mason.

Dh and I have decided on Mason if it's a boy. My best friend says Mason is a girly name and we should use it if it's a girl, but NOT if it's a boy. Dh and I have our minds made up already and I'm just curious to see what others think.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Mason is a girl's name? I've only ever heard it as a boy's name. I checked my baby name book, and they have it listed under both boys and girls, although I think it's far more common for boys (case in point: the book also has Mimi listed as a boy's name).

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think it's gender neutral, but I've only ever known a little girl named Mason, no boys.

Good for you sticking to your guns, no one liked our name for ds - but we love it and everyone says it "fits" him

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think it's a boy's name. I think "mason" and I think "brick layer." Not to be sexist, but I just think of a boy more.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhammond
I think it's a boy's name. I think "mason" and I think "brick layer." Not to be sexist, but I just think of a boy more.
I thought of that too. I also think the 'son' portion of the name makes it more masculine. I knew an adorable (although rather energetic
) little boy named Mason, its a nice name. I do think it can be gender neutral though!

Don't worry about what others say about a name you love. I've decided not to tell anyone else IRL the name we have picked out for a girl (Miriam with a nickname of Mira- which DH and I
) because I've gotten some rude responses. Its your decision, don't worry if someone else has other opinions on the name. If we ALL liked the same names this world would be pretty boring with everyone named the same thing...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I agree that anything can be gender neutral lately, but I think traditionally Mason is a boy's name. I think boy when I hear it.

I agree with not telling people irl. We've never discussed names with anyone, and I know if we had we would have gotten tons of grief over names we love. Once the baby's born they just have to accept it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There are about a million boys named Mason in my area. Used to babysit for one too.

I think it would be really cute as a girl's name if it were a different spelling. Mayson, Maisen, Maison (
anyone who reads French can chuckle with me) Masen.
Just my opinion !

It is also our city's name!

I have always wanted to name a girl ( if we had one) after my grandma in some way using her middle name, Mae. I might just borrow your Mason idea and run with it. DH says cant use Mason since we live here but maybe i can find something along those lines. hmmm

thanks for the idea!

Amy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Definitely a boy's name to me. Giving boys' names to girls is definitely a trend right now, though. I know of a baby girl with the same name I'm planning on naming my son (Alden). Both Mason and Alden seem like strong masculine names to me, so I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amybw
I have always wanted to name a girl ( if we had one) after my grandma in some way using her middle name, Mae.
Maesan? Maesyn? Maezon?

Maesa? Maegan?

Good luck and have fun thinking of names!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have never even heard of it as a girl's name, although I know there is a big trend these days toward giving girls male names. I'd think, though, that any girl named Mason was going to get mistaken for a boy if someone's going only by a list of names (say, a teacher preparing for the start of school).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.