Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If I remember correctly, and the story indicates this, they actually were able to connect the DNA evidence from the first crime to another person.

Too bad it looks like he was not fit for society. Poor young woman and her family...

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Yikes! How horrible.
That poor girl and her family.

I wonder if he did it? Evidence sure links him to it, according to the article.
Its an interesting thought; what would 18 years of wrongful imprisionment do to a man's mind? How would it affect his actions upon release?

I know someone in prison for a long term. I know what kind of horrible atrocities happen in there behind bars, especially to people accused of violent sex crimes. The violenct, the assault, the stripping away of all your dignity and pride.
The person I know, he often says how it is all he can do to keep sane, to hold on to the scraps of humanity he has left, in the face of all that violence, ugliness, and and hate. I can't begin to imagine what would happen after facing 18 years of that, especially knowing you didn't commit the crime. How much anger and bitterness would build up, how much futility and hate.

I'm not saying that is in any way an excuse to go out and kill someone, believe me! I just wonder how much responsibility should be placed on the court system for ruining this man's life, for affecting his mind.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Its an interesting thought; what would 18 years of wrongful imprisionment do to a man's mind? How would it affect his actions upon release?
: My thoughts as well.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Okay, you all have been much more thoughtful than my original statement...sorry!

You're right, lotusdebi, tinuvial k, and tayndrewsmom...There is probably a big influence from all those years of false imprisonment and the mental anguish and abuse that the man suffered as a result.

It's really scary what happens in prisons...did you know that there is some consideration given to prison escapees if their rationale is that the conditions are absolutely inhumane and abominable? Doesn't that tell us something about how the justice system fails to acknowledge the problems it creates, or only offers lame-o bandaid solutions.

I think there should be consequences for prosecutors in these wrongful conviction cases...especially because at times the prosecutor's office has control over evidence and issues like DNA evidence/testing. They can actually work against a person proving their innocence, and that should be illegal.

Sigh...the world is so complicated. Prayers, again, to the poor woman's family. But also the family of the man whose lost 18 years of his life to prison, and probably lost any chance at a healthy soul. Peace to both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.