Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honestly, I have no advice but want to say, you aren't alone. Brett is like that and has been like that for a long time. He fusses and fights me on everything. Sometimes he thinks it's hillarious. Other times he's truly annoyed and fighting me. Every time he gets dressed, gets coat on, gets shoes on, getting ready to leave, etc. He fusses/whines about *Everything* I think it's just his personality. (oh joy!) It's very frustrating, yes but, honestly, I think your approach is the best you can do. We also try getting silly, giving choices (Brett's a bit younger but can make some choices), giving time warnings, following a routine, etc. And I usually end up with, "Ok, you chose to run around, not to get dressed, whatever so Mama is going to do it now." Cue wrestling match. I hate it but I can't see another way around it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just wanted to add, make sure you are consistent from incident to incident. Remember, toddlers are very big on testing their limits and they truly do thrive when they know and have clear boundaries.

I think we can be firm, consistent and set and enforce very clear boundaries and still be gentle. Kids can't handle being in control of everything-that's what we are for. So I do think how you are handling the situation is good. At least we aren't yelling/screaming/hitting, etc.

It makes me sad to think about what life would be like for my son if he had been born to a spanking/yelling, etc family.
He's so spirited. It's not my favorite way of getting things done (the wrestling match) But I'm so proud of myself for not going another route.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.