Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a friend with a DD who is the same age & they are both going through this...this...thing right now. I'm assuming it's a developmental thing since they're both doing it, but we both need advice on handling it.

Here's the deal. DD is 2.5 & in the last 3 weeks has become totally oppositional to any kind of transitions. Examples:

Whenever I start getting us ready to leave the house she insists that she wants to stay home. She runs around the house laughing so I can't get her dressed so we can go. I try giving her choices about what she wants to wear. I try making a game of getting dressed. I sing songs. I get silly. I get serious. Nothing works. Eventually, I tell her she can do it herself or I will do it for her, but she must get dressed. Sometimes she decides to do it herself. Other times I get into a wrestling match with her trying to get her clothes on. By the time we're ready, I want to stay home too.

Once we leave she's happy, but then we have the reverse problem when we try to go home. We have similar problems at bedtime...to get teeth brushed....to get nighttime diaper on....to change into pajamas....to get into bed.

We always warn her well in advance of what will be happening. We've been doing that for most of her life, and it's worked until now. We validate her feelings. And, like I said, we give choices & play games. We postpone things that don't need to be done.

Am I missing something? Something I'm doing or not doing?

Please tell me it's a stage & she'll stop eventually. I assume it has something to do with her developing autonomy and learning that she can assert more control over her environment.

I don't know how clear I've been. I'll clarify later if necessary.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying! I'm glad to know that we seem to be doing the right things. I'm working on my own ability to stay calm & be patient. Sometimes I just need to relax & not let it get to me. That helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.