Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS2's birthday is on Earth Day. ;-) We're throwing a party for him on Saturday, so to go with that as a theme, I thought for party favors I'd get:

* A bunch of those biodegradable seedling pots
* A bunch of different kinds of flower and vegetable and herb seed packets
* A big bucket of compost from the municipal composting facility up the hill

And let people pick a seed packet and take home a scoop of compost in a pot.

But... I'm not a gardener. Oh, I have aspirations of one day, perhaps, keeping a plant alive for an entire season... but I really have no idea if this makes sense! So I thought, "I should ask a gardener. Who do I know that is a gardener? I know! MDC is an Everything! I'll ask them!"

So hit me with the feedback, ladies. Is it laughable, or really cool, or perfectly reasonable, or what?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think it's a really cool idea! I've been to a birthday party where that was one of the activities and then the kids got to take home their potted seeds. Sunflower seeds or peas might be cool coz they're fast growers and the kids get to see progress weekly.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I'm not a gardener but I have a few opinions.

I like the idea of letting them pick a packet or two of seeds.

Not so big a fan of taking home a scoopful of compost in a pot in my car. Too easy to drop or spill as you turn a corner. I'd not be so happy to have loose dirt all over...

So I'd get the seeds, and see if you could find a good deal (dollar store? you never know what they'll have) on either kid gardening gloves or kid hand shovel? Or watering cans - kids LOVE watering cans!

Just my two cents. Have a great party!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A note: there won't mostly be kids at this party. We're inviting family friends, including those with children, so there will be several... but it's a first birthday ;-) DS2 doesn't have a social circle yet.

I had thought about getting clear plastic bags and twist ties for people to put their pots in, for just that reason. Not so eco-friendly, but maybe they'll reuse them!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What a great idea! My DD1's birthday is Earth Day too
To add to the list of easy seeds to start:
Easy Seeds for Beginners According to Gardeners Supply Co.:
Tomato
Marigold
Zinnia
Sunflower
Coleus
Basil
Nasturtium
Cosmos

Food/herb seeds may be a good idea to go with a local eating theme---appropriate for Earth Day, I think.

Hope your little guy has a great day!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
sweet party, can I come?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I had thought about getting clear plastic bags and twist ties for people to put their pots in, for just that reason. Not so eco-friendly, but maybe they'll reuse them!
Maybe you could use paper bags? Still not ideal, but better than plastic, assuming the compost isn't very wet.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktarsha View Post
Maybe you could use paper bags? Still not ideal, but better than plastic, assuming the compost isn't very wet.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you can find plain lunch bags, preferably from recycled paper, you can put a scoop in each, roll it closed and tie a length of twine or raffia or whatnot, around it. Would be very cute!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I wish I was going to your party. Nice party gift idea.
:
Me, too! And I like the idea of using a paper bag for the compost. Just go get the compost soon and let it sit out to dry in the sun so your guests don't have to deal with soggy ripped bags.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The compost is left out in a pile for anyone to take from... would that dry it out enough?

And, I was thinking that people would put a scoop of compost in the seedling pot, then put the pot in the bag, so paper should work fine! And be easy to find, too.

I got the seeds today, but Target didn't have any seedling pots, so I need to go to the nursery I guess (or maybe a Target with a real garden center... but there's not one particularly near here; we've got mall-anchor Targets in our part of the world).

ETA: The more the merrier... if you happen to live in Los Angeles anyway!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.