Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing myself in every way possible to breastfeed successfully this time around. Last time was pretty much a failure with ds so I plan NOT to do that this time if I can help it. Because of my challenges with ds my supply was never good. When I pumped I got hardly anything and boy was that discouraging. DS had nipple confusion so I know he would have removed more from the breast but thats what I had to deal with. (add to that I had breast surgery a number of years ago that may or may not have affected the milk ducts)

This time around I am not going to introduce any artificial nipples even if the hospital tries to scare me into it like last time. I was wondering, would it be crazy if I bought one of these http://www.medelasuction.com/ISBD/br...ts/nursing.php ahead of time for just in case? My hospital doesnt offer any non artificial nipples in the event I have to supplement while there. Thats what caused DS nipple confusion last time. Id like to be prepared just in case. Also I find this supplemental nursing system encouraging that I can put it at the breast and still have the baby latch on. I think it could stimulate my supply in those early days.

I guess Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Am I crazy for thinking this? should I not even consider getting it? I think part of me thinks maybe if I get it ahead of time maybe Im already in the mindset that Im going to fail... I really dont feel that way... well I am afraid of failure but dont think it will happen this time... but do you think it may be a good thing to have just in case?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mama, your concerns are warranted and I don't think it's a bad idea to be prepared. Def. better to have a way to supplement than have to go along with the hospital's plans. That being said, I'd probably fight it if the hospital tries to force supplementation on you. Babies are born with the ability to sustain themselves on the colostrom you produce until your milk comes in- a newborn's stomach is so tiny! Often, too, the same nurses trying to force supplementation are dreadfully uneducated when it comes to breastfeeding. When my daughter was born, she nursed within the first hour, then not again for like 6 hours. The nurses came to me and tried to force a bottle, which I refused. They got all defensive, and said, "then we have to test for glucose levels, to make sure she's all right." Reluctantly, I let them prick her heel, and she was fine. I guess my point is to educate yourself on what's normal for newborns in terms of eating behavior, and be ready to defend your position.

Of course, if you have a genuine supply issue that arises later, that's a different story. But I think it's probably too early to worry about that, at least until your milk comes in. Oh, and rooming in will def. cut down on their ability to use artificial nipples, too!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I think it's definitely wise to have one on hand. I'd also hook up with a IBCLC ahead of time, too.
Have you checked out bfar.org? The mamas there could offer you lots of advice.
Good luck, mama. I hope you have a full supply this time but if you don't, MANY BFAR mamas have long, happy nursing relationships thanks to supplementing at the breast.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
That being said, I'd probably fight it if the hospital tries to force supplementation on you. Babies are born with the ability to sustain themselves on the colostrom you produce until your milk comes in- a newborn's stomach is so tiny! Often, too, the same nurses trying to force supplementation are dreadfully uneducated when it comes to breastfeeding.
I totally know this to be true but you know how hospitals are with their "policy." with ds he had a little brick dust on his diaper on his first day here (which now I know was perfectly normal) but they told me it was a big problem with dehydration and they told me he couldnt go home until he had formula
I was so tired of being there and putting up with the grouchy nurses I went along with it thinking I would get DS back on the breast. It never happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.